RE: [manet] DYMO and other routing protocols

"Joe Macker" <joseph.macker@nrl.navy.mil> Tue, 12 June 2007 20:28 UTC

From: Joe Macker <joseph.macker@nrl.navy.mil>
To: "'Mullen, John'" <jomullen@ad.nmsu.edu>, manet@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [manet] DYMO and other routing protocols
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:53:48 -0400

Some 2 cents.

Link state variants can be made more reactive and may provide other
opportunities for robustness management.  Also, MANET multicast may be the
better way to go for some network traffic in extreme edge temporal
fragmentation cases or at least it should be considered.  I think it really
depends on not just the scenario but the applications and traffic patterns
desired.  A real user traffic model is needed to properly analyze and I
don’t buy general statements.  Fuzzy-sighted approaches (also having been
done within OLSR implementations) have exhibited good scaling properties and
can be made to converge in different ways depending on the scenario
requirements and assumptions.  Previous analyses showed that for dense
networks and networks with small relative diameters (8 hops or less) that
optimized flooding was a more important scaling feature than fuzzy sighted
methods but dynamic convergence properties needed more study.  Reactive
approaches can also be made more proactive (e.g., maintaining gateway
routes,etc even when not on demand). For large networks, I think there is
some interesting additional work for someone to do regarding the convergence
potential of fuzzy-sighted or fisheye methods.  This is outside the present
engineering WG charter but implementations already exist that work with core
WG designs. I believe spatial-temporal realtionship can be made more
reactive in nature (to improve delay), but as Phillipe says even without
that the route convergence can generally improve as one gets closer to the
destination.  Certainly there is no one size fits all.  Also rather than
generalizing comparative analysis, one needs to think about protocol control
requirements under peak conditions as well (e.g., what happens when everyone
needs routes at once). In other words, a peak analysis may be more important
than average routing overhead analysis for some deployments and the fact
that some MANET platforms have entire prefixes or sets of prefixes behind
them including possible heterogeneous interfaces (normal IP routing)...

Also John, since you mentioned the ACK control tradeoff issue, if you are
interested the IETF MANET-OSPF design team did some evaluation on examining
tradeoffs between ACK-based control and best effort control propagation.

-Joe