RE: [manet] IP-802.11 interface

"Paul Tan Hock Lai" <tanpaul@i2r.a-star.edu.sg> Tue, 25 March 2003 10:16 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:49:21 +0800
From: Paul Tan Hock Lai <tanpaul@i2r.a-star.edu.sg>
To: perkins@cacs.louisiana.edu, Sukanta Kumar Hazra <sukanta@i2r.a-star.edu.sg>, Leping.Huang@nokia.com
Cc: manet@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [manet] IP-802.11 interface
Sender: manet-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

I am also interest in this issue too. I have actually tried to query the mailing list on the similar matter, but failed to get a response. Maybe it's out of the scope of MANET. 8-)

> Some of the manet routing protocols (e.g., AODV abd DSR) have the
> option of using MAC layer messages to realize link failures.

MANET protocol (layer) requires triggers (link-up, link-down, etc) from the mobile node (itself),
I am not sure it TrigTrans can apply here (triggers sent by other entities).

The timing and the reliability of the triggers are important too.

Regards,
Paul

> simulation based papers have modeled the IEEE 802.11 MAC as providing
> such connectivity messages to the routing layer. However, is there
> any work on providing a "real" IP-to-802.11 interface? A broader
> issue concerns the design tradeoffs and performance gains when using such
> a vertical-layer or cross-layer design approach. Any studies or thoughts
> on these issues?
>
> Is this problem in the scope of the MANET group?

>>> <Leping.Huang@nokia.com> 25-Mar-03 4:36:57 PM >>>
Hi, Sukata:

I am also quite interested in this issue.
Do you still remember which WG was tackling this problem inside/outside IETF?
Are there any draft/RFC they produced?

I was told that there is a draft in MobileIPv6 WG, which may be related to this issue.
"Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers for 802.11 Networks"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mccann-mobileip-80211fh-01.txt

Yours
Leping

Hi Dmitri,

I recall that some effort (standard) in this direction was sought in the IP
trigger BOF in IETF some time ago. From what I remember they failed to
reach a consensus.

- Sukanta