[Manycouches] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee-08: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 23 August 2023 19:19 UTC

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee@ietf.org, shmoo-chairs@ietf.org, manycouches@ietf.org, suresh.krishnan@gmail.com, suresh.krishnan@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 12:19:37 -0700
Subject: [Manycouches] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee-08: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-shmoo-remote-fee/

COMMENT:

### Section 1, non-sequitur

"This increase can be explained by the ease with which new participants can
join a meeting or only attend selected parts of the meeting agenda, and also by
a less strongly perceived need to attend every meeting in person, due to either
financial reasons or other circumstances."

The "due to" implies a causal connection that doesn't make sense to me; the
final clause seems pretty unrelated to the previous parts of the sentence.
Financial reasons might well relate to a less strong perceived *ability* to
attend -- but "need"? Perhaps something like,

"This increase can be explained by the ease with which new participants can
join a meeting or only attend selected parts of the meeting agenda, and also by
a less strongly perceived need to attend every meeting in person. Financial
reasons may also be a factor."

In my suggested rewrite I dropped "or other circumstances" because it doesn't
add anything.

### Section 2, vagueness of restriction of use of personal information

"any personal information that is collected with respect to the use of the free
remote participation option must be kept confidential"

Shouldn't it say confidential *from whom*, and what the allowed and disallowed
uses are?

(I notice Éric Vyncke had a similar comment.)