Re: [martini] DID Number Mobility and MARTINI

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 10 February 2010 08:31 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>, MARTINI <martini@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:32:56 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [martini] DID Number Mobility and MARTINI

Dean,

It is certainly the case that Alice should be able to move location and have things "just work" without having to contact the service desk. Let's assume Alice's device normally registers with the PBX at site A, and that the PBX registers with the SSP to receive calls to Alice's E.164 number. Alice moves to site B, but Alice's device (the same one or a different one) still registers with the PBX at site A. If there are issues with being able to register with a PBX on site A from a LAN on site B, that is outside the scope of MARTINI work.

Of course, calls from the SSP to Alice, on arrival at PBX-A, if the preferred device at that time is on site B, need to be routed to that device on site B. How this is achieved might also be an issue, put presumably would be based on a path established at registration time. I think this is also outside the scope of MARTINI.

What Dean proposes is that we support the nomadic user by moving the registrar for Alice's AOR from PBX-A to PBX-B. This would be a much bigger problem that just telling the SSP that Alice's E.164 number is now served by PBX-B instead of PBX-A. You also need to arrange for calls from UAs within the PBXs concerned to go to PBX-B instead of PBX-A for handling. Also all Alice's preferences known to the registrar at PBX-A need to be moved to PBX-B (e.g., conditions for calls to be redirected to voicemail). Also, what if Alice still has other devices that stay on site A? How does it help by moving the registrar to PBX-B.

John