Re: [MBONED] addrarch: IANA assignment policies and eGLOP

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Thu, 01 February 2007 00:06 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
Subject: Re: [MBONED] addrarch: IANA assignment policies and eGLOP
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:06:00 -0500
To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: mboned@ietf.org

Hello;

On Jan 19, 2007, at 3:04 AM, Pekka Savola wrote:

> I'll try to summarize the discussion that related to IANA
> assignment policies and eGLOP.
>
> DaveM mentioned that RIRs haven't been very interested in taking up
> this assignment task for various reasons.  Marshall said he'd try
> to get this started.  What is the status of this effort?

Here is a draft of a submission for Apnic. Comments, tomatoes, etc.,
welcomed. This is based on the form at

http://www.apnic.net/cgi-bin/policy_proposal.pl

which is why it is a little choppy.

Marshall

SIG for discussion:
Nominate the SIG you think is most appropriate for discussing this
proposal.

Policy

Title of proposal:

eGLOP Multicast Address Assignments

Introduction:

RFC 2770 [now replaced by RFC 3180 / BCP 53] set up an automatic
"GLOP" multicast address assignment in 233/8 based on Autonomous
System Numbers (ASNs). The mechanism that was set up in RFC 318 for
extending GLOP assignments, known as eGLOP, envisioned the assignment
of multicast addresses by RIRs from the portion of the 233/8 space
corresponding to the RFC 1930 private address space. This mechanism
has never been used, but its use is now imperative due to both an
increased interest in multicast address assignments to support IPTV
and the adopted proposals to assign 4-octet ASNs, which do not have
GLOP assignments. This proposal is for the assignment of Multicast
addesses by the APNIC RIR; equivalent proposals will be sent to the
other RIRs for consideration in due course.

Summary of the current problem:

RFC 2770 and RFC 3180 describe a policy for use of the class D
address space
by mapping 16 bits of Autonomous System number (AS) into the middle two
octets of 233/8 to yield a /24, which is automatically assigned to
that ASN.  While this technique has been
successful, the assignments are inefficient in those cases in which a
/24 is too small or the user doesn't have its own AS, and it does not
work for 4-octet AS number
extension scheme.

RFC 3138 expanded on RFC 2770 to allow routing registries to assign
multicast addresses from the GLOP space corresponding to the RFC 1930
private AS space; referred to as the EGLOP (Extended GLOP) address
space.

The failure to instantiate RFC 3138 assignments had lead to a
situation where some multicast users feel like they cannot obtain
addresses, while others apply directly to IANA, with there being at
least 24 IANA approved applications in 2006. The current situations
in inequitable and inefficient and there is no reason not to apply
the mechanism set up in RFC 3138.

Situation in other RIRs:

We intend to make comparable proposals to the ARIN, LACNIC, and RIPE
NCCs in due course. This submission was motivated by the date of the
next APNIC meeting.

Details of your proposal:

RFC 3138 allocated 233.252/14 to eGLOP. The RFC further says that

    Globally scoped IPv4 multicast addresses in the EGLOP space are
    assigned by a Regional Registry (RIR).  An applicant MUST, as per
    [IANA], show that the request cannot be satisfied using
    Administratively Scoped addressing [RFC2365], GLOP addressing
    [RFC2770], or SSM.  The fine-grained assignment policy is left to
the
    assigning RIR.

[IANA] is http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses

We propose that each RIR be allocated an initial /20 from this
address range, and allocate by default /28's to proposers (16
addresses as Multicast address are not subject to CIDR default
restrictions), subject to the above criteria, and that the RIR assign
more addresses based on demonstrated need.

Note that Multicast addresses are not subject to classless
aggregation and address blocks as small as a /32 can be usefully
assigned.

Advantages and disadvantages of adopting the proposed policy:

The proposed policy should facilitate multicast deployment. The
current mechanism for non-GLOP multicast deployment involves
requesting an assignment from IANA, which has no ability to evaluate
these requests and relies on the IANA Multicast Expert appointed by
the IESG (currently David Meyer). This process is inefficient,
inequitable (as this policy route is not widely known), encourages
the use of "rouge" self-assignments, and discourages application
developers and service providers from developing and deploying
multicast.

The only disadvantage that we can see from the proposed policy is
that the RIR's will have to set up and execute mechanisms to
implement it.

Effect on APNIC members:

We feel that adoption of this proposal will help to make multicast
deployment more widespread, and should be of benefit to APNIC members
adopting Multicast for video distribution on the Internet. It will
have no effect on APNIC members who do not deploy Multicast.

Effect on NIRs: