Re: [MBONED] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-03.txt

Peter Koch <pk@DENIC.DE> Tue, 05 July 2011 18:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 20:50:09 +0200
From: Peter Koch <pk@DENIC.DE>
To: internet-drafts@ietf.org
Sender: Peter Koch <peter@denic.de>
Cc: mboned@ietf.org, i-d-announce@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MBONED] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-03.txt

Dear mboned WG,

> 	Title           : Moving MCAST.NET into the ARPA infrastructure top level domain
> 	Author(s)       : Peter Koch
>                           Leo Vegoda
> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-03.txt
> 	Pages           : 9
> 	Date            : 2011-07-05

after roughly a year Leo and myself revived this document to get BCP51
amended by at least this missing piece.  Most of the DNS administrative preparation
work at IANA is either in late preparation stages or done.  Please find the full
detail of changes between the -02 and -03 versions at

	<http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-arpa-03.txt>

To get the ball rolling for v4 multicast, our suggestion (see section 5.3.2)
for the reverse mapping of v6 multicast space is to defer this to a
separate document.  Our impression was that due to the scoping and
structure the v6 case is more complex than v4 and nees further study (with
my apologies to Stig).

Open Issues:

o Is the approach to defer ff00::/8 reverse mapping to a separate document OK
  for the working group?

o Section 5.3.1 generates an action item for IANA to develop a reverse mapping
  system for GLOP space. Does the WG feel that's the right way to do it?
  GLOP space involves (16 bit) AS numbers, assignment of which is usually
  traceable through RIR whois/registry data (or NIRs, where applicable),
  so IANA seemed like a natural starting point.  Comments appreciated.

o Section 6.1 gives two (was: three) alternative options for the future of
  the MCAST.NET domain.  The WG needs to make a decision.

On the NITS side, we're aware of the triple reference to RFC 6308 and its draft
as well as to its now obsolete predecessor. That will be fixed in -04.

I'll be in Quebec, and Leo migt be available via remote participation. Should
there be a need (and time), we could discuss the open issues during the
session (at the discretion of the chairs), but let's first see how far we can
get by email.

Thanks,
  Peter