[MBONED] draft-ietf-mboned-rfc3171bis-04

Alfred Hönes <ah@tr-sys.de> Wed, 12 November 2008 16:11 UTC

From: Alfred Hönes <ah@tr-sys.de>
To: michelle.cotton@icann.org, dmm@1-4-5.net
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:15:58 +0100
Cc: mboned@ietf.org
Subject: [MBONED] draft-ietf-mboned-rfc3171bis-04
Sender: mboned-bounces@ietf.org

Hello,
following up from draft-cotton-v4mcast-guidelines to
       draft-ietf-mboned-rfc3171bis-04,
I would like to again submit a few comments.

(1)  Front matter

See item (3) below!

(2)  Abstract

It's only a matter of 'marketing' :

I suggest to shuffle the words in order to give the _constructive_
part first, then the _destructive" one (obsoletes).

See also (3) below.

(3)  Section 1, second paragraph.

Sorry, I do not understand the rationale and how that shall work:

   This document is a revision of RFC 3171 [RFC3171], which it
|  obsoletes.  It should retain RFC 3171's status as BCP 51.  It also
|  obsoletes RFC 3138 [RFC3138]."
                                ^

The draft indeed is a full functional replacement for RFC 3171 and
it covers all topics addressed there.  But if the document replaces
(Obsoletes) RFC 3171, RFC 3171 will be deleted from the rfcxx00 file
and the BCP index, and the new RFC should become the new BCP 51,
according to the rules stated in the procedural RFCs and the latest
IAB drafts of the RFC Series and the RFC Editor.

These rules explicitely state that, notwithstanding historiocal
procedural flaws that (admittedly) have occured, BCP numbers are
functional and stable in the same way as STD numbers.

Therefore, I strongly recommend to elide the second sentence above.
Furthermore, the unmatched trailing double-quote should be removed.

Hence, the above paragraph should be modified to say:

   This document is a revision of RFC 3171 [RFC3171], which it
|  obsoletes.  It also obsoletes RFC 3138 [RFC3138].

To carry this information over to the RFC metadata, the draft
front matter should be amended by the clause:

" Obsoletes: 3138, 3171 (if approved)"

For completeness, the Abstract should mention *both* obsolescenses.

(4)  Section 1, third paragraph, and Section 1.2

The 3rd paragraph in Section 1 belongs into Section 1.2.

The first sentence in it should be updated to accommodate for the
new BCP 26, RFC 5226:

 - update ref. tag:     [RFC2434]        --" [RFC5226]

 - update terminology:  "IETF Consensus" --> "IETF Review"

Further, the second sentence is a duplicate of the existing text in
Section 1.2 and should be deleted.

In the second paragraph of the present Section 1.2, 'is defined as'
seems to be slightly improper; I suggest to say "designates" instead.

(5)  Section 3 ff. -- complete CIDR notation

My earlier comments on the rules set forth for CIDR notation
still apply.  I have attached below the still relevant excerpts
of that message (with a dew typos corrected) -- see item (0)(a)
there.

I really would like to see the IETF eat its own doggy-food!
Otherwise BCPs are going to loose their credibility.

(6)  Section 3

My earlier comments on the registry content still apply.
See item (1) and its sub-items in the attached message excerpts.

To avoid confusion and further reference to legacy flaws,
I strongly recommend to update and streamline the registry
file *before* publication of this memo as an RFC (preferably
much sooner!), and include that version in section 3.

(7)  Section 8 -- typos

Yhe last sentence of Setcion 8 should be corrected:

|  Note that this block as initially assigned to the VMTP transient
         vvvvvv        ^^^
|  groups IANA [IANA].
---
|  Note that this block was initially assigned to the VMTP transient
         v             ^^^^
|  groups [IANA].

(8)  Section 9 -- spurious word replication

One of the flaws originally reported has not been corrected.
Please fix:   s/ of of / of /  .

(9)  Section 9.2 -- textual improvement

The current text might still cause confusion between the two
namespaces under consideration.

Therefore, I suggest to shuffle the wording, in order to group
the values shown close to the terms referring to them, and add
the missing AS numbers, for completeness:

   [RFC3138] delegated assignment of the GLOP sub-block mapped by the
   [RFC1930] private AS space (233.252.0.0 - 233.255.255.255) to the
   RIRs.  [...]
---
|  [RFC3138] delegated to the RIRs the assignment of the GLOP sub-block
|  (233.252.0.0 - 233.255.255.255) mapped by the private AS space
|  (64512-65534) and the IANA reserved ASN 65535 [RFC1930].  [...]

Note: Historical records indicate that the distinction between
      ASN 65535 and the private use ASN range 64512-65534 predates
      RFC 1930 and has never been changed in the IANA registry.
      Some sources support the opinion that RFC 1930 primarily
      wanted to indicate that the whole AS range 64512-65535 is
      reserved and "not to be advertised on the global Internet",
      and therefore did not make the distinction.

(10)  Section 12.1, second paragraph

The previous draft version has been discussed in item (6) of the
old review quoted below.

In the meantime, the entry for the ST Multicast Groups block has
been restored in the IANA registry, and a ref. to RFC 1190 has
been added to the draft text:

|  The IANA should also review assignments in the AD-HOC, DIS Transient
|  Groups, and ST Multicast Groups [RFC1190] blocks and reclaim those
   addresses that are not in use on the global Internet (i.e, those
   applications which can use SSM, GLOP, or Administratively Scoped
   addressing, or are not globally routed).

Still, the term "DIS Transient Groups" is undefined, and no useful
reference has been given.  To give a specific indication to the
questionable (?) nature of this block, I suggest to enclose that
term in quotes.

(11)  Section 17.2

Please delete the outdated entry  [RFC2434]  and add -- according to
collation oreder -- at the end of the section a new entry  [RFC5226] .

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

--

| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |