Re: [media-types] Registration for multipart/multilingual type

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Fri, 18 November 2016 06:54 UTC

To: media-types@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 07:54:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [media-types] Registration for multipart/multilingual type

Nik,

In the "Encoding Considerations", you mention ASCII. Why?

Reading RFC 6838 section 4.8, where the encoding considerations field is
defined, only 7-bit, 8-bit, binary and framed are mentioned as possible
values.

It seems that you just want to expess total freedom for encoding, so
therefore I suggest that you replace "may contain ASCII or binary." with
"may contain 7-bit, 8-bit or binary encodings".

(or mention all four if also "framed" is possible.  )

Regards

Gunnar