[media-types] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-mediaman-toplevel-05: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 17 April 2024 06:38 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-mediaman-toplevel@ietf.org, mediaman-chairs@ietf.org, media-types@ietf.org, harald@alvestrand.no, harald@alvestrand.no, antoine@aft.network
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 23:38:00 -0700
Subject: [media-types] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-mediaman-toplevel-05: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mediaman-toplevel-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mediaman-toplevel/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-mediaman-toplevel-05

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education).

Special thanks to Harald Alvestrand for the shepherd's detailed write-up
including the WG consensus *but it lacks* the justification of the intended
status.

Other thanks to Antoine Fressancourt, the Internet directorate reviewer, please
consider this int-dir review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-mediaman-toplevel-03-intdir-lc-fressancourt-2023-09-05/
(and I have read a start of the discussion)

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS (non-blocking)

## Section 1

Probably due to my ignorance on the topic, but in `the right of the slash with
a prefix of '.../vnd.` can there be a '/' in the '...' ?

## Section 1.1

Section 1 was about `top-level media types` and now this section is about
`top-level types`, they are probably the same concept, but may I suggest
introducing the shorthand equivalent ?

I am afraid that I cannot identify the scenarii in `In some older scenarios,`

## Section 2.1

I would expect a BCP document to clearly (punt intended) specify how `clearly`
is evaluated in this section. E.g., is IETF consensus on the clarity enough ?
See also Lars Eggert's ballot.

Unsure about the usefulness of `Please note that the 'example' top-level
describes a subtype 'example'.`

## Section 2.2

`Existing wide use of an undefined top-level type` what is an "undefined
top-level type" ? One that is not IANA registered ? Please be explicit.

## Section 2.3

Please expand `RDF`.

## Section 3

An interesting read but suggest moving this section in the introduction or in
the appendix.