RE: [Megaco] Local/Remote descriptors and Permanent terminations

Pauls Markus <Markus.Pauls@icn.siemens.de> Wed, 03 April 2002 12:38 UTC

From: Pauls Markus <Markus.Pauls@icn.siemens.de>
To: megaco@ietf.org
Cc: 'Carl Rutter' <crutter@telica.com>
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Local/Remote descriptors and Permanent terminations
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 09:48:51 +0200
Sender: megaco-admin@ietf.org

Suppose you have the following SDP:

m=audio 4444 RTP/AVP 0 18
a=fmtp:18 annexb=no         // G.729, Silence Suppression off (see draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mime-05)
a=silenceSupp: on - - - -

(that means the GW may either use G.711 µ-law or G.729)

The silenceSupp attribute is not specific for a payload type, the fmtp attribute is. So which one has precedence in this case?

In my opinion you should have the ability to switch on silence suppression depending on the payload type. If you want to use it with G.711, it does not mean that you want it with G.729.

Beyond that I believe generally it is more suited to an ephemeral termination. Therefore it should be expressed by means of SDP.

However, if you want to transport the comfort noise payload (according to draft-ietf-avt-rtp-cn-05), you should add the payload type 13 to the SDP media line as well (IMO).

From my point of view the SDP should therefore look something like this:

m=audio 4444 RTP/AVP 0 18 13
a=fmtp:18 annexb=no
a=fmtp:0 silSup=yes

where this PCMU specific parameter silSup must still be defined (for PCMA as well).

Any comment is appreciated.

	Kind regards

		Markus Pauls

Markus Pauls

SIEMENS
Information and Communication Networks

ICN WN CC NA B13   	Tel.:  	+49 89 722 62937
Hofmannstr. 51     	Fax:   	+49 89 722 44176
81359 Munich        	Email: 	markus.pauls@icn.siemens.de
Germany