Re: [MEXT] MEXT WG drafts (re)naming and submission

Julien Laganier <julien.IETF@laposte.net> Wed, 19 December 2007 14:29 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:to:subject:date:user-agent:cc:references:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:message-id:sender; bh=1TuV08DuV9HaVS/OPYpdg+RMSG0DE2GGDev8BU6f4Fs=; b=EVlzCCOq7GvNgJWExhKXQ9hdMscZ1mlllpFVCnWpgeMqJ6b2byQyY8Kp48zA7Z8m5hpm9jii4aSS/GO4zaLq3JKI3sqbVJp0qJzyfZRYkcswMMgf4W0E4vA+xrwcwpukRRUnNpnlhg+JwmkKXGLrr7xtuEXeW4KpwIbZUFCIK5U=
From: Julien Laganier <julien.IETF@laposte.net>
To: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] MEXT WG drafts (re)naming and submission
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:30:15 +0100

Hi Thierry,

While I'm sympathetic to your view that "MEXT is not a new group, it
inherits from MIP6, NEMO and MonAmi6 so former charters and conclusions
should be taken into account", let me point out that we are ultimately
bound by our charter and IETF processes, i.e. documented WG rules and
guidelines. There would be no formal basis to do otherwise. MEXT is a
WG on its own with its own charter, and should abide by it.

We are currently in the process of revising our charter, and I encourage
anyone to put forth items they think are missing. Once we agree on a
revised charter that can be sent to IESG for approval and that charter
is approved the WG will be in position to adopt drafts.

The situation with NEMO prefix delegation drafts is however different
since we are chartered to develop *one* solution. That mean we'll have
to make a choice sooner or later. It is somehat orthogonal to that
choice itself whether we adopt both drafts now and decide later which
one gets sent to IESG, or whether we choose now one and adopt it as WG
draft. Let me suggest that it is better to decide sooner so that we can
concentrate on one draft that will be one of the output of this WG.
Regarding the explanation why MEXT is not adopting any of the two
drafts yet, I don't care too much and am satisfied with either your or
my explanation. Now we can argue about that and also about adopting
both, but maybe we'd be better working on NEMO prefix delegation :)

Best,

--julien