Re: [MEXT] NEMO MNP in RA Informational/Experimental item?

Thierry Ernst <thierry.ernst@inria.fr> Mon, 30 August 2010 16:52 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:52:54 +0200
From: Thierry Ernst <thierry.ernst@inria.fr>
To: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] NEMO MNP in RA Informational/Experimental item?

Hi Julien, Alex,

It depends where you stand from. As pointed out by Alex, in the previous
MEXT charter there is an Automotive requirements WG item and the
associated draft
draft-mext-nemo-ro-automotive-req (expired, but authors are on the way
to update it -- also note that ETSI and ISO are going their way in
specifying standards that will at some time require discussion with
IETF), "which mentions vehicle-to-vehicle V2V
requirements, to which the MNP-in-RA is a potential solution.  That is a
potential reason for bringing MNP-in-RA in MEXT.".

Of course, should such a solution for a MEXT draft requirement by
chosen, one might wonder which IETF WG is the best and MEXT might not,
or might.

On this specific point I consider that a BOF is premature.  First,
draft-mext-nemo-ro-automotive-req must be updated, and a sufficient
number of people be interested in the solution. Now, ETSI and ISO are
working on non-IP issues, and only later will they be concerned about IP
solutions, including MR-MR RO. Things could change quickly, though I
don't see a window in 2010.

Regards,
Thierry.