Re: [MEXT] Rethink on Mobile IPv6

Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com> Thu, 04 March 2010 02:25 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:25:48 +1100
From: Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com>
To: Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com, mext@ietf.org
Cc: jari.arkko@piuha.net, int-area@ietf.org, rdroms@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [MEXT] Rethink on Mobile IPv6

Hi Raj,

A couple of thoughts.
First, you've redefined the purpose of MIPv6 to be about setting up a tunnel
between the MN and the HA. Whether this is correct or not, it's worth noting
that your basis for such definition is unknown. It certainly doesn't match
our reference for MIPv6 (RFC 3775).

Regarding the complexity of DSMIPv6. Arnaud is 100% right in his response
and this was discussed on the mext list more times than I can remember. The
complexity is due to NAT traversal. Yes, we could have reduced the
complexity if we relied on MIP-only traversal techniques instead of having
both MIP and IPsec traversal run simultaneously, but what is the other
alternative for negotiating a security association behind a NAT?
The problem *is* NAT. I'm afraid that once you plant the seeds of hackiness
(if that's a word) by using NATs you have to harvest the output at some
point. There is no free lunch when you have a deployed base of 2 billion
users.

I continued to suggest (for about 6 years now) that we use CGAs for MIPv6.
It's by far the cleanest solution we have. My best description to the
resistance of adopting CGAs is: Politics. There is no technical reason for
not using them and we all know that. So if you want to come up with
alternatives, you'd be doing the community a disservice if you don't
seriously consider CGAs. In fact, I'd go further and say you need to explain
why not. We've already seen what happens when we produce half cooked
security proposals tailored to a specific SDO's needs (read: RFC 4285).

I look forward to the continuation of these discussions.

Hesham