[MEXT] Questions on draft-ietf-mext-binary-ts & draft-ietf-mext-flow-binding

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Tue, 06 April 2010 16:36 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 17:36:05 +0100
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: mext@ietf.org
Subject: [MEXT] Questions on draft-ietf-mext-binary-ts & draft-ietf-mext-flow-binding

Hi

1. If I get it right, a traffic selector is used by the MN to tell the
Home Agent or Correspondent Node (or mobility anchor in Hierarchical ),
"if you see a pkt that matches this traffic selector, then forward(*) it
to this one of the CoAs"

The traffic selector can include a list of (say) source addresses, which
(I think) means, "if a pkt matches *any* of these source addresses, then
forward it to this one of the CoAs"

However, the list of source addresses is of uncertain length (the
'start' and 'end' feature), similarly for the lists of destination
addresses, ports, protocol numbers, SPIs, Diffserv codepoints. So how
does the home agent know whether an address is the last of the source
addresses or the first of the destination addresses? Or whether it's a
source port or destination port?

2. (*) draft-ietf-mext-flow-binding only allows forwarding (S4.2,
'Action'). This seems to rule out that case where the MN wants to tell
the HA to tunnel pkts to a mobility anchor [for HMIP]?

3. draft-ietf-mext-flow-binding doesn't mention Proxy mobile IP
[rfc5213] and implies /says that the flow binding comes from a MN or
mobile router. I guess this means it can't come from a MAG (=PMIP's node
that acts on behalf of the MN). Does this mean that flow bindings and
PMIP are mutually exclusive? In fact, are PMIP and rfc5648 (multiple CoA
registrations) mutually exclusive? If yes - why?

Thanks
Best wishes,
Philip Eardley.