Re: [MEXT] Prefix delegation & Diameter Interaction

Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com> Tue, 27 November 2007 23:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:26:51 -0800
From: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>, George Tsirtsis <tsirtsis@googlemail.com>, Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [MEXT] Prefix delegation & Diameter Interaction
Cc: mext@ietf.org

Hi Hannes,

Here are some pointers to previous discussions. Took me some time
to find this. IETF archives are not designed for searching.

- http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg06023.html

This thread was about DHCP should be used to assign home address
from the NAS (access router). RADIUS/Diameter is used to deliver
the home address from the AAA to the NAS.

- http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg06554.html

This thread talks about AAA or the HA assigning a home address.

- http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netlmm/current/msg02515.html

This thread was on the NETLMM mailing list. It was about AAA managing
prefixes for PMIPv6 instead of the LMA and the AAA delivering the
prefixes to the MAG.

There was quite bit of discussion on this during the Prague meeting.
Mostly hallway discussions. Don't have pointers to that. This was
just after the WG last call for draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt.

There might have been more, but can't spend any more time on this.
Sorry. Anyway, AFAIK, we have always concluded that the home agent
or some other entity on the home link (DHCP server) manages the
home addresses and the home prefixes.

George, Sri, you guys had also sent emails asking for pointers.
Patience please. It takes quite a bit of time to search through
the archives.

Vijay