Re: [MEXT] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mip6-hareliability-06.txt

Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <cjbc@it.uc3m.es> Mon, 02 August 2010 13:51 UTC

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>
To: Ryuji Wakikawa <ryuji.wakikawa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:52:55 +0200
Cc: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mip6-hareliability-06.txt

Dear Ryuji,

Thanks for tyour reply. Some comments below.

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 11:43 +0200, Ryuji Wakikawa wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Thanks for your review. I finally receive comments in the MEXT list;-)
>
> On 2010/07/24, at 22:40, Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano wrote:
>
> > Hi Ryuji, all,
> >
> > I've read the draft. Overall it seems OK to me. I have some comments and
> > questions (in no particular order):
> >
> > Technical:
> > - Page 4: "if a home agent loses the binding cache state, due to failure
> > or some other reason, it results in a loss of service for the mobile
> > nodes", the draft covers more cases, right? I mean, (V)HARP can be used
> > to provide reliability against a HA that loses the binding cache (e.g.,
> > because it hangs/halts/breaks down), but also for example against a home
> > agent that stops being reachable because connectivity problems (that can
> > be just local to the HA or to the home link where the HA is attached
> > to). I think this should be better captured in the Introduction.
>
> I describe the most typical scenario of this protocol.  I will clarify it with your suggestion.
>

> > - Page 5: Home Agent Preference: for the case of VHARP, I guess all the
> > HA of the set share the same value for DHAAD, but can use a different
> > one for VHARP purposes, right? I think this is not very clear.
>
> It's up to the operation.
> Admin can configure the different set of preferences for HARP operation or use the same preference value of DHAAD.
>
> > - Page 6: Availability of a redundant home agent set. From current text
> > I understand that standby home agents cannot be added for an MN after it
> > bootstraps, but I don't think that is right. Am I not properly
> > understanding that piece of text?
>
> From the MN point of view, we just use the MIP6 bootstrapping mechanism (split and integrated one) for HA addresses discovery.
> MN should re-discover the HA addresses by looking up DNS again, etc...
> From the HA point of view, the new HA start sending a HELLO to the HAs in the same HA set.

Then I think it is not very clear in the text. From your response, I
understand that for VHARP, HAs can be added anytime, as for HARP, the MN
would need to re-discover the HAs in order to add some after
bootstrapping, right?

> > - Page 7: The text below the "Considerations of IPsec/IKE transfer" item
> > seems to me contradictory with the text above that and also on page 9.
> > Is IPsec/IKE state synchronization in scope or not of the document?
>
> It is out of scope in this document.

Then I'd suggest to fix the text to make it clear.

> > - Page 7: Secured Message Exchanges: why MAY there? I'd say MUST be
> > authenticated (and MAY be encrypted).
>
> We had comments that HAs are often placed in the secured link (deep in the operators network).
> In these network, the security is just redundant since the link is securely operated.
> That's why we relax the security level.

Then I'd explain this in the text.

> > - Page 8: IMHO, it is not clear in the draft how standby home agents
> > coordinate to ensure that only the one with the highest preference value
> > takes over.
>
> The pref value is exchanged by HELLO, therefore, the HA whose pref is highest should start taking over.

How are possible conflicts solved? what happens if two HAs
simultaneously try to take over?

> > - Page 12: for the scenario depicted in Figure 5, how would the HAs in
> > region-2 know that the HAs in region-1 have failed and it is not just
> > that the connectivity between region-1 and region-2 is broken? It might
> > be possible that region-1 is just not reachable from region-2 but still
> > from the rest of the Internet.
>
> We assume the internal connectivity (between Reg1 and Reg2) is stable.

Isn't that a strong requirement? Anyway, I think this should be
explicitly mentioned in the text.

> > Editorial:
> > - IMO, References to RFC3775 should be updated to point to RFC3775bis.
>
> -bis is still in draft. I though I should wait for it being RFC.

I'm not sure it makes sense to submit a draft that references an RFC
that is becoming obsolete anytime soon.

Thanks,

Carlos