Re: [MEXT] AD review of draft-ietf-mext-aero-reqs

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 17 June 2009 15:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:53:09 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Cc: draft-ietf-mext-aero-reqs@tools.ietf.org, "mext@ietf.org" <mext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MEXT] AD review of draft-ietf-mext-aero-reqs

Just one particular point about looping issues...

Jari Arkko a écrit :
[...]

draft says:
>> 4.2. Des2 - Nesting
>>

>>    It is desirable if the RO mechanism supports RO for nested MRs, since
>>    it is possible that for PIES and astronaut spacesuits, that PANs with
>>    MRs will need to be supported.  For oceanic flight, ATS and AOS may
>>    also benefit from the capability of nesting MRs between multiple
>>    planes to provide a "reachback" to terrestrial groundstations rather
>>    than relying solely on lower rate HF or satellite systems.  In either
>>    case, this mode of operation is beyond current strict requirements
>>    and is merely desirable.  It is also noted that there are other ways
>>    to support these communications scenarios using routing protocols or
>>    other means outside of NEMO.

Jari says:
> Is loop detection a requirement? That is something that we do not
> currently support in NEMO...

I am not sure what do you mean Jari, by saying that loop detection is
not supported in NEMO(?)

With Mobile IP based network mobility packets can not travel in loop
paths (a typical risk of badly behaving distributed algorithm of path
construction), simply because packets get encapsulated each time, every
same-level path can't loop.

On another hand, I am not aware of any analysis of Mobile IP based
network mobility protocols from a looping standpoint.

I wanted to point to a 'stalemate' situation described in RFC4888
Appendix B which shows a mobility configuration leading to impossibility
to set up the MR-HA tunnel.  This configuration can occur with a small
capsule detaching from a larger station, attaching to another larger
station; subsequently the initial station tries to attach to the
capsule.  This may lead to a 'stalemate' situation from the Mobile IP
and RFC4888 standpoint.  A NEMO RO protocol should help avoid this
situation.

I am wondering about similar description of what looping and NEMO can be
in the framework of aero-reqs draft.

Alex