Re: [MEXT] WG Review: Recharter of Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 24 August 2010 13:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:41:41 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: iesg@ietf.org
Cc: "Laganier, Julien" <julienl@qualcomm.com>, Jong-Hyouk Lee <jong-hyouk.lee@inria.fr>, JANNETEAU Christophe <christophe.janneteau@cea.fr>, mext <mext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MEXT] WG Review: Recharter of Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)

Hello IESG,

Today is the August 24th deadline.  I reply now, although the momentum
around this potential WG item may take longer.

I have suggested during the MEXT re-chartering discussion the inclusion
of an item related to moving network to moving network communications.
Two drafts have been discussed in the WG recently:

       draft-jhlee-mext-mnpp-00.txt
       draft-petrescu-autoconf-ra-based-routing-00.txt

The intended status of the first reads Informational, and of the second
should also be Informational, or Experimental (the current tag is wrong
in the draft).

The two drafts were presented at different MEXT WG meetings, and were
discussed by the authors, publicly.  Two different implementations have
been prototyped.

AUTOCONF WG discussed the second draft a little bit, but I don't think
it will be Chartered there because AUTOCONF seems to be mostly about
DHCP, whereas here it's about RAs and NEMO.

Some comments received recently from non Authors showed an interest in
more feedback from independent persons.  A Chair indicated that more
technical review is needed.  We consider these remarks seriously.

Technically, Router Advertisement extensions are used to exchange routes
between two moving networks.  When infrastructure Internet is not
available, MIP6 NEMO is not triggered.

Alex