RE: [MEXT] re-direction attack on MCoA

"Benjamin Lim" <benjamin.limck@sg.panasonic.com> Tue, 29 January 2008 03:04 UTC

From: Benjamin Lim <benjamin.limck@sg.panasonic.com>
To: 'Vijay Devarapalli' <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>
Subject: RE: [MEXT] re-direction attack on MCoA
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:03:01 +0800
Cc: mext@ietf.org

Hi Vijay,

=8==8<=8==
> FWIW, for the current draft, I think it is sufficient to
> point out the threats in the security considerations section.
> The home agent knows which mobile node launched the attch, so
> that should be a deterrent. We should not require the CoA to
> be a CGA, require CBA or mandate a return routability test
> for the CoA for the multiple CoA extension.
[Ben] I am not mandating a solution for CoA testing yet. My intention in my
draft was to analyze and discuss the best way to solve the problem. Till
then, I feel it might be better to list the current possible approaches to
the problem in the MCoA draft. These approaches serves as some options that
implementers can take to help advert such problem.

> I also think we should add an informative reference pointing
> to draft-lim-mext-multiple-coa-verify-00 for preventing the attack.
[Ben] A standard track document pointing to a draft that may expire for
solutions. I am not sure if this is the correct way to go.

Regards,
Benjamin Lim