Re: [MEXT] New Text for home link detection in RFC3775bis

<mohamed.kassilahlou@orange-ftgroup.com> Thu, 03 July 2008 13:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:07:02 +0200
From: mohamed.kassilahlou@orange-ftgroup.com
To: suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com, fanzhao828@gmail.com
Cc: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] New Text for home link detection in RFC3775bis
Sender: mext-bounces@ietf.org

Hi all,

I hope that the following can hepl:

 If the MN has no configuration then A otherwise B.

A: Bootstrap
o The MN has neither IP address, nor the HA IP address, nor home IP prefix,
o The MN connects to a network, obtains a link IP prefix and acquires or forms an IP address (MN@)
o The MN discovers the HA IP address and its home IP prefixes
o The MN compares the prefix of its IP address (MN@) with the home IP prefixes
		- If those prefixes match then the MN is in its home network, HoA=MN@, and the HA is the HA for this HoA. The MN initiates IP sessions with classical routing.
		- If not then the MN is in a foreign network, CoA=MN@, the HA is a HA for the MN. The MN will form a HoA from home prefixes or will request a HoA from the HA and will exchange a BU/BA with the HA. The MN initiates IP sessions using MIP.

B. Handover
o The MN has a HoA, the HA IP address and its home IP prefixes
o The MN connects to the network and obtains a link IP prefix
o The MN compares the link IP prefix with the HoA IP prefix
		- If those prefixes match then the MN is in its home network
					+ If the MN has no CoA: It means that the MN is always on its home network. It has made no IP handover therefore it does not need to send a BU. The MN continues its IP sessions with classical routing.
					+ If the MN already has a CoA: It means that the MN returns at its home network then it has to sends a BU to deregister. The MN continues its IP sessions with classical routing.
		- If the prefixes do not match then the MN is in a foreign network
					+ if the MN has no CoA: It means that the MN comes from its home network then it forms (or acquires) a CoA with the link prefix on which it has just connected and sends a BU to its HA. The MN continues its IP sessions using MIP.
					+ If the MN already has a CoA:
					* If the link prefixes and the CoA prefix match: It means that the MN is always on the same foreign network. It has made no IP handover therefore it does not need to send a BU. The MN continues its IP sessions using MIP.
					* If the link prefixes and the CoA prefix do not match: it means that the MN has made IP handover towards another foreign network therefore it has to form (or acquire) a CoA with the link prefix on which it has just connected and to send a BU to its HA to update its registration. The MN continues its IP sessions using MIP.

o Note that when the mobile node connects on a new visited network it may need to discover the HA of this network if available. The mobile node may have to use this HA for next IP sessions.

Sincerly,

Kassi