Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] [OPS-DIR] FW: PRELIMINARY Agenda and Package for January 8, 2009 Telechat

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Sun, 04 January 2009 17:26 UTC

Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:26:14 +0100
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Margaret Wasserman <mrw@lilacglade.org>
Cc: aaa-doctors@ietf.org, "MIB Doctors (E-mail)" <mib-doctors@ietf.org>, ops-dir@ietf.org, IETF DNS Directorate <dns-dir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] [OPS-DIR] FW: PRELIMINARY Agenda and Package for January 8, 2009 Telechat
Sender: mib-doctors-bounces@ietf.org

Here you go:

--------------

Message ORGanization (morg)
Last Modified: 2008-12-11

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
Randall Gellens
(co-chair TBD)

Applications Area Directors:
Chris Newman
Lisa Dusseault

Application Area Advisor:
Chris Newman

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: morg@ietf.org
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/morg/current/maillist.html

The IETF Message Organization extensions Working Group will work on IMAP
extensions that improve clients' ability to find messages or groups of
messages in an IMAP mailstore. As a secondary goal, the WG will design
its extensions so as to minimize client/server round trips and bandwidth
overhead.

In particular the Working Group is chartered to finalize and publish the
following IMAP extensions as proposed standards:

(a) A SORT extension specifying new sort criteria for header fields
containing email addresses. This extension will be based on
draft-karp-morg-sortdisplay-00.txt.

(b) A SEARCH extension specifying new search criteria for header fields
containing email addresses.

(c) A LIST extension for returning STATUS information in LIST responses.
This extension will be based on
draft-melnikov-imapext-status-in-list-00.txt.

(d) An extension that formalizes a way to return message counters by
message context using STATUS and SEARCH commands.

(e) An extension that specifies Internet-search-engine-like searching.
Such searches would be more flexible (and less formally defined) than
substring-based searches, and may return their results in a significant
order. They may include "relevance" scores or similar information that
could be useful to the user.

(f) New collation algorithms such as "ignore whitespace" and "numeric,
ignoring punctuation". The WG group will determine which collations are
needed, taking into consideration the needs of the protocols that use
the collation framework.

(g) An extension that allows searching for messages within a message
thread. This extension will be based on
draft-gulbrandsen-imap-inthread-03.txt.

(h) An extension that allows searching of multiple mailboxes at the same
time (based on draft-melnikov-imapext-multimailbox-search-03.txt), or of
multiple mailbox views. The WG will determine which approach (mailboxes
or views) is more suitable as part of its work.

Additional documents may be added this list, but only via a charter
revision. There must also be demonstrable willingness in the IMAP
development community to actually implement a given extension before it
can be added to this charter.

Revising or replacing the base IMAP4rev1 specification (RFC 3501) is out
of the scope of this WG. This WG will ensure that all extensions it
proposes take into account any existing problems in the base
specification of IMAP, and do not make them worse nor make the problems
harder to address in the future.
====

---------------------------------

Network Configuration (netconf)
================================

Last Modified: 2008-12-16

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/netconf

Chair(s):
Bert Wijnen <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
Mehmet Ersue <mehmet.ersue@nsn.com>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Dan Romascanu <dromasca@avaya.com>
Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Dan Romascanu <dromasca@avaya.com>

Technical Advisor(s):
Charlie Kaufman <charliek@microsoft.com>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: netconf@ietf.org
In Body: in msg body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netconf/

Description of Working Group:
Charlie Kaufman is Technical Advisor for Security Matters

Configuration of networks of devices has become a critical requirement
for operators in today's highly interoperable networks. Operators from
large to small have developed their own mechanisms or used vendor
specific mechanisms to transfer configuration data to and from a
device, and for examining device state information which may impact
the configuration. Each of these mechanisms may be different in
various aspects, such as session establishment, user authentication,
configuration data exchange, and error responses.

The NETCONF Working Group is chartered to produce a protocol suitable
for network configuration, with the following characteristics:

- Provides retrieval mechanisms which can differentiate between
  configuration data and non-configuration data
- Is extensible enough so that vendors will provide access to all
  configuration data on the device using a single protocol
- Has a programmatic interface (avoids screen scraping and
  formatting-related changes between releases)
- Uses a textual data representation, that can be easily manipulated
  using non-specialized text manipulation tools.
- Supports integration with existing user authentication methods
- Supports integration with existing configuration database systems
- Supports network wide configuration transactions (with features such
  as locking and rollback capability)
- Is as transport-independent as possible
- Provides support for asynchronous notifications.

The NETCONF protocol is using XML for data encoding purposes, because
XML is a widely deployed standard which is supported by a large number
of applications.

The NETCONF protocol should be independent of the data definition
language and data models used to describe configuration and state
data.

However, the authorization model used in the protocol is dependent on
the data model. Although these issues must be fully addressed to
develop standard data models, only a small part of this work will be
initially addressed. This group will specify requirements for standard
data models in order to fully support the NETCONF protocol, such as:

- identification of principals, such as user names or distinguished
names
- mechanism to distinguish configuration from non-configuration data
- XML namespace conventions
- XML usage guidelines

The initial work started in 2003 and has already been completed and was
restricted to following items:

  a) NETCONF Protocol Specification, which defines the operational
model,
     protocol operations, transaction model, data model requirements,
     security requirements, and transport layer requirements.
  b) NETCONF over SSH Specification: Implementation Mandatory,
  c) NETCONF over BEEP Specification: Implementation Optional,
  d) NETCONF over SOAP Specification: Implementation Optional.

  These documents define how the NETCONF protocol is used with each
  transport protocol selected by the working group, and how it meets
  the security and transport layer requirements of the NETCONF Protocol
  Specification.

  e) NETCONF Notification Specification, which defines mechanisms that
     provide an asynchronous message notification delivery service for
     the NETCONF protocol.  NETCONF Notification is an optional
     capability built on top of the base NETCONF definition and
     provides the capabilities and operations necessary to support
     this service.

  The NETCONF notification specification has been finished now as well.

In the current phase of the incremental development of NETCONF the
workgroup will focus on following items:

1. Fine-grain locking: The base NETCONF protocol only provides a lock
   for the entire configuration datastore, which is not deemed to meet
   important operational and security requirements. The NETCONF working
   group will produce a standards-track RFC specifying a mechanism for
   fine-grain locking of the NETCONF configuration datastore.

2. NETCONF monitoring: It is considered best practice for IETF working
   groups to include management of their protocols within the scope of
   the solution they are providing. The NETCONF working group will
   produce a standards-track RFC with mechanisms allowing NETCONF
   itself to be used to monitor some aspects of NETCONF operation.

3. Schema advertisement: Currently the NETCONF protocol is able to
   advertise which protocol features are supported on a particular
   netconf-capable device. However, there is currently no way to
discover
   which XML Schema are supported on the device. The NETCONF working
   group will produce a standards-track RFC with mechanisms making this
   discovery possible (this item may be merged with "NETCONF monitoring"
   into a single document).

   Note: The schema-advertisement material has been merged into the
   NETCONF monitoring document based on WG consensus.

4. NETCONF over TLS: Based on implementation experience there is a
   need for a standards track document to define NETCONF over TLS as an
   optional transport for the NETCONF protocol.

5. NETCONF default handling: NETCONF today does not define whether
   default values should be returned by the server in replies
   to requests for reading configuration and state data. Different
   clients have different needs to receive or not to receive
   default data. The NETCONF working group will produce a
   standards-track RFC defining a mechanism that allows
   NETCONF clients to control whether default data is returned
   by the netconf server.

6. NETCONF implementations have shown that the specification in RFC4741
   is not 100% clear and has lead to different interpretations and
implementations.
   Also some errors have been uncovered. So the WG will do an rfc4741bis
with
   following constraints:

     - bug fixes are to be done
     - clarifications can be done
     - extensions can be done only when needed to fix bugs
       or inconsistencies (i.e. we are not doing a NETCONF V2)
     - The work can be started based on the discussion in IETF #73 (see
        http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/08nov/slides/netconf-3.pdf).

   Note: A technical errata has been posted on rfc4742. If the work on
   rfc4741bis uncovers any additional fixes/clarifications that need
   to be made to rfc4742, the WG may consider to also do a rfc4742bis
   as part of this work-item.

The following items have been identified as important but are currently
not considered in scope for re-chartering and may be candidates for work
when there is community consensus to take them on:

- NETCONF Notification content
- Access Control requirements
- NETCONF access to SMI-based MIB data

Goals and Milestones:
Done   Working Group formed
Done   Submit initial Netconf Protocol draft
Done   Submit initial Netconf over (transport-TBD) draft
Done   Begin Working Group Last Call for the Netconf Protocol draft
Done   Begin Working Group Last Call for the Netconf over
(transport-TBD)
            draft
Done   Submit final version of the Netconf Protocol draft to the IESG
Done   Submit final version of the Netconf over SOAP draft to the IESG
Done   Submit final version of the Netconf over BEEP draft to the IESG
Done   Submit final version of the Netconf over SSH draft to the IESG
Done   Update charter
Done   Submit first version of NETCONF Notifications document
Done   Begin WGLC of NETCONF Notifications document
Done   Submit final version of NETCONF Notifications document to IESG
            for consideration as Proposed Standard
Done   -00 draft for fine Grain Locking
Done   -00 draft for NETCONF over TLS
Done   -00 draft for NETCONF Monitoring
Done   -00 draft for Schema Advertisement
Done   Early Review of client authentication approach (for NETCONF over
            TLS) with the security community at IETF 71
N.A.     WG Last Call on Schema Advertisement after IETF72
            Schema Advertisement has been merged into Monitoring
Done    WG Last Call on NETCONF over TLS after IETF72
Done    Netconf over TLS to IESG for consideration as Proposed Standards
Dec 2008  WG Last Call on Fine Grain Locking after IETF73
Dec 2008  Send Partial Locking to IESG for consideration as Proposed
Standards
Jan 2009   Initial WG draft for with-defaults capability
Feb 2009   Initial WG draft for rfc4741bis
Mar 2009   WG Last Call on NETCONF Monitoring after IETF73
Apr 2009   WG Last Call on rfc4741bis
Apr 2009   WG Last Call on with-defaults
Jun 2009   rfc4741bis to IESG for considerations as Proposed Standard
Jun 2009   with-defaults capability to IESG for considerations as
Proposed Standard

-------------------------------

IP Performance Metrics (ippm)
Last Modified: 2008-12-19

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/ippm

Chair(s):
	Matthew Zekauskas [matt@internet2.edu]
         Henk Uijterwaal [henk@ripe.net]

Transport Area Director(s):
	Magnus Westerlund magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com]
         Lars Eggert [lars.eggert@nokia.com]

Transport Area Advisor:
	Lars Eggert [lars.eggert@nokia.com]

Mailing Lists:
	General Discussion: ippm@ietf.org
         In Body: subscribe
	Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ippm/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The IPPM WG has developed a set of standard metrics that can be
applied to the quality, performance, and reliability of Internet
data delivery services. These metrics are designed such that they
can be performed by network operators, end users, or independent
testing groups. It is important that the metrics not represent a
value judgment (i.e. define "good" and "bad"), but rather provide
unbiased quantitative measures of performance.

Functions peripheral to Internet data delivery services, such as
NOC/NIC services, are beyond the scope of this working group.

The IPPM WG has produced documents that define specific metrics and
procedures for accurately measuring and documenting these metrics.
This is the current list of fundamental metrics and the existing
set of derived metrics.

  - connectivity

  - one-way delay and loss

  - round-trip delay.

  - delay variation

  - loss patterns

  - packet reordering

  - bulk transport capacity

  - link bandwidth capacity

  - packet duplication

The working group will advance these metrics along the standards
track within the IETF.  It will be guided by applicable IESG documents
in this area. Additionally, the WG will produce Proposed Standard
AS documents, comparable to applicability statements in RFC 2026,
that will focus on procedures for measuring the individual metrics
and how these metrics characterize features that are important to
different service classes, such as bulk transport, periodic streams,
packet bursts or multimedia streams.  Each AS document will discuss
the performance characteristics that are pertinent to a specified
service class; clearly identify the set of metrics that aid in the
description of those characteristics; specify the methodologies
required to collect said metrics; and lastly, present the requirements
for the common, unambiguous reporting of testing results.  The AS
documents can also discuss the use of the metrics to verify performance
expectations, such as SLA's, report results to specific user groups
or investigate network problems.  The focus is, again, to define
how this should be done, not to define a value judgment. The WG may
define additional statistics for its metrics if needed. Specific
topics of these AS documents must be approved by the Area Directors
as charter additions.

The WG will work on documents describing how to compose and decompose
the results of its metrics over time or space.

The WG has produced protocols to enable communication among test
equipment that implements the one- and two-way metrics (OWAMP and
TWAMP respectively).  OWAMP and TWAMP will be advanced along the
standards track.   Further development of these protocols will also
be done inside the WG.

The metrics developed by the WG were developed inside an active
measurement context, that is, the devices used to measure the metrics
produce their own traffic.  However, most metrics can be used inside
a passive context as well.  No work is planned is this area though,
this may be changed with AD approval.

The intent of the WG is to cooperate with other appropriate standards
bodies and forums (such as ATIS IIF, ITU-T SG 12, 13 and 15, MEF)
to promote consistent approaches and metrics. Within the IETF
process, IPPM metrics definitions will be subject to as rigorous a
scrutiny for usefulness, clarity, and accuracy as other protocol
standards. The IPPM WG will interact with other areas of IETF
activity whose scope intersect with the requirement of these specific
metrics.  The WG will, on request, provide input to other IETF WG
on the use of these metrics.