Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] MIB Dr. review of draft-ietf-storm-ifcpmib-05

"Joan Cucchiara" <jcucchiara@mindspring.com> Wed, 20 October 2010 14:05 UTC

From: Joan Cucchiara <jcucchiara@mindspring.com>
To: "Bert (IETF) Wijnen" <bertietf@bwijnen.net>, "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:04:31 -0400
Cc: mib-doctors@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] MIB Dr. review of draft-ietf-storm-ifcpmib-05

Bert,

I would agree with the approach you suggest, but the DESCRIPTION clause
specifies that one of the
enums is deprecated, and using the word 'deprecated' is a sticking point for
me  because the word
"deprecated" has implications in a MIB Module.

 IfcpAddressMode ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
       STATUS         current
       DESCRIPTION    "The values for iFCP Address Translation
                       Mode. The value addressTranslation(2) is
                       deprecated."
       REFERENCE      "RFC yyyy, Updates to the iFCP Protocol and
                       Internet Protocol Number 133 "
-- RFC Ed.: replace yyyy with the RFC number assigned to
-- draft-ietf-storm-ifcp-ipn133-updates & remove this note
       SYNTAX         INTEGER {addressTransparent(1),
                               addressTranslation(2)}

Perhaps restating (i.e. softening) the DESCRIPTION
without using the word "deprecated' would be a solution, but then I'm not
sure if that is the true intention of the WG.

As a little more background info,  I do think the WG intends to no longer
support
the addressTranslation(2) because there is currently a
WG specification  (draft-ietf-storm-ifcp-ipn133-updates) about
how the AdressTranslation Mode  is  incorect and "deprecated".
Here is part of the specification's abstract:

"Abstract

   Changes to Fibre Channel have caused the specification of iFCP
   address translation mode to become incorrect.  Due to the absence of
   usage of iFCP address translation mode, it is deprecated by this
   document.  iFCP address transparent mode remains correctly specified.
...."

Thanks,
  -Joan