[MIB-DOCTORS] our IfTypeReferences project - ifType 5 inconsistencies

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Wed, 02 August 2006 16:57 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: "Keith McCloghrie (E-mail)" <kzm@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:57:03 +0200
Cc: "MIB Doctors (E-mail)" <mib-doctors@ietf.org>
Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] our IfTypeReferences project - ifType 5 inconsistencies

Keith and others. Thanks for all the input sofar.

We need consistency and make a decision.
We found the following (sofar):

  label(value()    where:
  ---------------- --------------------------------
  rfc877x25(5)     http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaiftype-mib
  rfc877-x25(5)    RFC1213
  rfc887-x25(5)    RFC1392
  rfc877x25(5)     RFC1573 (the initial IANAifType-MIB)
  x25(5)           RFC1700

I understand that RFC 1700 has been obsoleted.
So maybe we need/should not worry about that.

It seems that the original label was rfc877-x25. I guess we (IETF IFMIB WG)
changed it to comply with the CLR "no hyphens in a label" ??

In any event, I am inclined to put in our table:

    http://www.ops.ietf.org/IfTypeReferences02.html

(and comments about this new format is welcome too.
 I am using cml2rfc with texttable element, which looks as follows:
  <texttable anchor='table_IfTypeReferences'>
    <ttcol align='left'>label</ttcol>
    <ttcol align='center'>ifType</ttcol>
    <ttcol align='left'>MIB oid</ttcol>
    <ttcol align='center'>Reference</ttcol>
    <ttcol align='center'>MIB module</ttcol>
    <ttcol align='left'>(IANA) comments</ttcol>

      <!--label-->     <c>other</c>
      <!--ifType-->    <c>1</c>
      <!--MIBoid-->    <c>n.a.</c>
      <!--MIBmodule--> <c>n.a.</c>
      <!--comment-->   <c>none of the following</c>

 I find that much easier to maintain than the format I received from
 Dave Thaler... not complaining Dave. Your format seemed impossible
 to maintain manually, but I am sure you have/had nice tools)

The MIB module is (as per RFC1382):
  x25(transmission.5)  http://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers
          under: Prefix: iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.transmission

If I understand RFC1382 correctly, then that MIB module is also used
for ddn-x25(4), as per sect 3.3 of RFC1382.

   3.3.  Structure of MIB

   Instances of the objects defined below represent attributes of an
   X.25 Packet Layer interface.  At present these interfaces are
   identified by an ifType object in the Internet-standard MIB-II [5]
   of:

                 ddn-x25(4), and
                 rfc887-x25(5).

   For these interfaces, the value of the ifSpecific variable in the
   MIB-II [5] has the OBJECT IDENTIFIER value:

                 x25    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { transmission 5 }

Note that also for ddn-x25, we have changed it to ddnX25 in the IANAifType-MIB
since RFC1573! So I am also using the ddnX25 in our table.

Bert