RE: [midcom] draft-ietf-midcom-requirements-01.txt

"Christian Huitema" <huitema@windows.microsoft.com> Mon, 25 June 2001 18:53 UTC

Subject: RE: [midcom] draft-ietf-midcom-requirements-01.txt
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:47:43 -0700
From: Christian Huitema <huitema@windows.microsoft.com>
To: richard.swale@bt.com, mshore@cisco.com, christopher.a.martin@wcom.com, midcom@ietf.org
Sender: midcom-admin@ietf.org

I wrote the scenario draft precisely so we could check that what we are
designing enables the use that we are planning. In section 2.3.1,
"Explicit call from an internal host", I wrote:

	We should note that, at step 2, the internal server
	must learn the external mappings of the internal address
	and ports; at this stage, it does no know the IP address
	and ports of the third party.

This is very much a fact of life. If you are unwilling to open the hole
before you know the complete five-tuple, then there is a race condition
between opening the hole and receiving the first audio packets;
announcements and first words will sometimes be clipped. A few lines
letter, the scenario text explains that:

	The description assumes that the hosts use the same UDP ports
	in both direction of the media communication. This is not
	necessarily the case. The source IP address may be unpredictable

	in the case of multi-homed hosts; the source port may be
	systematically different from the receive port in some
	implementation, e.g. parallel processing of the send and receive

	channels by different software or hardware components.

SIP and SDP, as they are defined today, only provide the address at
which a host is ready to receive data. They do not document the sending
address. The requirement document already mention that the protocol
should allow use of wildcards for specifying pinholes. We may expect
this to be used frequently.

-- Christian Huitema