RE: [midcom] Identifying Intra realm calls

"Sanjoy Sen"<sanjoy@nortelnetworks.com> Wed, 06 March 2002 17:06 UTC

From: Sanjoy Sen <sanjoy@nortelnetworks.com>
To: 'Christian Huitema' <huitema@windows.microsoft.com>, Cedric Aoun <cedric.aoun@nortelnetworks.com>, "Midcom IETF (E-mail)" <midcom@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [midcom] Identifying Intra realm calls
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:03:13 -0600
Sender: midcom-admin@ietf.org

Christian, Thanks for your comments. See inline.

I thought so too. Then this should be mentioned in the next version of STUN
document.

> We should only use a solution
> like STUN when we know that the two stations are "far apart".

Not sure how would you determine if the stations are "wide apart".

> Even so, there are failure modes, e.g. in the cases of dual
> NAT: an ISP allocate 10/8 addresses to its customers, who in
> turn run a NAT.
>
> A partial solution is to use multicast discovery to find out
> whether the other party is local: from the UDP port that uses
> STUN, send a multicast packet to a conventional IPv4
> multicast address and port, documenting something like "I am
> local and my STUN address is x.x.x.x:p"; the receiver of
> these packet keeps a catalog; this is what is document in
> version 04 of the shipworm/teredo draft. You may combine the
> solution with a hint, e.g. the fact that the STUN mapped
> addresses of the parties look alike.

The problem, we noted, also occurs when there're multiple NAT's fronting a
big network realm or in case of dual-homed NAT's, when this kind of hint
doesn't work. But, as you said, its a hint anyway:-)

Why can't we use a unicast ping-like message to determine connectivity
between private addresses behind NAT's? That's one of the possible solutions
discussed in the draft.

Sanjoy

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aoun-midcom-intrarealmcalls-00.txt

The intent of this ID is to initiate some discussions (perhaps, offline)
towards a solution for this issue. The intent is in no way to disrupt the
progress of the WG's chartered work items, so, if you're interested to work
on this problem, please send comments offline and we can move the
discussions to a private mailing list (midcom-interest@eng.registro.br).
Thanks
Cedric
Cedric Aoun