Re: [mif] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-mif-mpvd-arch-02.txt

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> Fri, 04 July 2014 07:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 09:07:34 +0200
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
To: Dmitry Anipko <Dmitry.Anipko@microsoft.com>
Cc: "mif@ietf.org" <mif@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mif] FW: I-D Action: draft-ietf-mif-mpvd-arch-02.txt

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Dmitry Anipko wrote:

> The new revision addresses the comments made on the list, and has added examples in the section 4. Thanks Zhen Cao, Ian Farrer and Dapeng Liu for their contributions to the section 4.

Hi,

I'm re-reading the document in its entirety, writing comments as I go
along:

2.3. Does the current writing prohibit that multiple implicit PVDs are
formed on a single interface, for instance if RAs are seen from two or
more routers on the same link, each announcing non-overlapping address
space and DNS resolvers? I would like to see a PVD being formed for each
of these to also allow for source based routing to send packets / use each
resolver depending on what source address based on these RAs are being
used.

2.4. Nit: I would like to see some commas in the second sentence for
easier understanding, for instance:

"For implicit PVDs, the node assigns a locally generated, with a high
probability of being globally unique, ID to each implicit PVD."

2.5 Nit grammar question (unsure):

"  For implicit PVDs, by default PVD-aware nodes shall including multiple
IP families into single implicit PVD created for an interface."

Shouldn't that be "shall include"?

3.3 Nit: Up to this, PVDs have been all caps, now there is a "PvD" (unless
the font/rendering combination in my browser is fooling my eyes). This is
also in 3.4 and others. The entire document needs to be checked for this?

5.2.2 If an application chooses an explicit source address first, I would
like to see the traffic sourced from that IP go out through the
logical/physical interface that IP is associcated with. Example:

You have a PVD that is associcated with your physical ethernet connection
and a VPN tunnel that goes over your WiFi Internet connection. So the host
has two PVDs, one "Internet", and one "Corporate", where the Corporate one
has two interfaces, one physical and one logical. If packets are sourced
using the VPN based IP address, I would like to see packets src/dst based
routed to go out the VPN connection and not go directly to the Corporate
physical connection. So this is *after* source address selection has been
done. As far as I can tell, there is no text about this.

5.2.3 Nit: "Internet" is a name, thus capital I. It's "Internet" in 5.3.

5.2.4. Nit: "Togetheer"

5.4. I feel 5.4 needs more text, at minimum stating that even though it's
a known non-perfect solution with connection managers, this problem is out
of scope for this document. The current text seems to say there is a
problem, and then... nothing.

10. Nit: there is a " , " (space before comma" in the middle of
"tampering" section. Both of the last two sections seems to be lacking a
":" or a "." after the initial section identifier. "Rogue configuration
source A compromised" for example.

Apart from this I feel the document is in good shape and I support its
publication.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se