Re: [mif] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mif-api-extension-04.txt

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> Tue, 22 October 2013 06:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:10:20 +0200
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
To: mif@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mif] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mif-api-extension-04.txt

In 3.1 there is a "point of discussion". I would like to comment on this.

For me, it's obvious that there can/must/will be separate provisioning
domains on the same wire.

Basically, I want to have everything with very fine granularity, basically
being able to have separate DNS servers for each prefix on the wire, which
might even be announced by the same router.

So each prefix announced in a style approximate with
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lepape-6man-prefix-metadata-00 should be
able to have its own RFC6106 (perhaps needs to be extended) announced
resolver, default gateway etc.

I also forsee that there is going to have to be extensions to DHCPv6 in
order to tell the host what information goes where, but let's not get
ahead of things, let's just conclude that just the fact that there would
be two routers on the same wire, each advertising unique prefixes that the
other one isn't announcing, means there is more than one PVD on the wire.

About the rest of the document, my idea of how this would work would be
that there also would be a way on the OS to bind a complete application to
a PVD, ie my corporate email program would be bound to the "corporate
PVD", and when this wasn't available, the program wouldn't see any network
connectivity at all. I could then establish connectivity to this PVD by
either running a VPN client over the Internet, or I could connect to the
enterprise network with wifi or cable directly. When reading the document
I can't tell if this is possible or not (this is for non-MIF aware
applications).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se