Re: [mif] New draft: IRON Applicability for Multiple Interface Nodes

"Hui Deng" <denghui@chinamobile.com> Thu, 12 January 2012 14:59 UTC

From: Hui Deng <denghui@chinamobile.com>
To: "'Templin, Fred L'" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 22:59:09 +0800
Cc: mif@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mif] New draft: IRON Applicability for Multiple Interface Nodes

Hello Fred,

Thanks for writing MIF iron document,
Comments from MIF:
1) MIF is not targeting a new internetworking and routing architecture, MIF
is proposed to solve today existing industry's architecture such as 3GPP,
BBF, WIFI deployment or Ethernet/PON office network. For new architecture
proposal, it would better to be discussed in IRTF.
2) MIF is not going to solve one OS handling two interfaces with the same
conflict IP address and prefix. At this moment, it is talking about how to
select happy eyeball path with multiple interfaces.

Comments from research direction:
1) Thinking about the possibility how to deploy VSP integrated with the
existing architecture like 3GPP, BBF, WIFI. It will take a revolutionary way
other than incremental deployment since it will change both host and
network, host is especially harder in today's mobile industry by supporting
IRON interface.
2) As far as I learned, IETF is more focusing on the problem with the
limited scope other than a general solution which can solve everything like
1st paragraph of in section of Introduction.

Excuse me for not reading in detail about your 4 drafts.

Thanks again

-Hui