Re: [mif] Comments on draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-01

<teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> Mon, 28 March 2011 22:28 UTC

From: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
To: ajs@shinkuro.com, mif@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 22:29:45 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.162.64.239]
Subject: Re: [mif] Comments on draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-01

Hi Andrew,

Of those two the case 1 is something we have targeted with this document and the case 2 is something I think is very hard to tackle with a protocol. As we've seen, the case 2 might even lead user to the same service, but one that provides more or less different service depending on perceived location of the user...

Hence I would scope solution only to the case 1.

I looked at RFC4035 that says:
--
   A resolver MUST disregard the meaning of the CD and AD bits in a
   response unless the response was obtained by using a secure channel

So maybe something like this would cover the trust issue:
--
   A node MUST not request or accept OPTION_DNS_SERVER_SELECT
   unless the option was received by using a secure channel
   without using a secure channel.
--
Unless it limits the applicability too much? Anyhow, for the use cases we target that probably would suit, as we could consider cellular interfaces as secure channel.

The DNSSEC texts are good, thank you. The first part will find place in the document, for the second let's decide if we want trust anchor dependent response selection included or not.

Best regards,

	Teemu