Re: [mif] Happy Eyeballs Extension for MIF

<pierrick.seite@orange-ftgroup.com> Wed, 06 April 2011 13:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:39:02 +0200
From: pierrick.seite@orange-ftgroup.com
To: phdgang@gmail.com, scott.brim@gmail.com
Cc: mif@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mif] Happy Eyeballs Extension for MIF

Hi,

Just a brief comment on happy eyeballs I-D. Basically, I'll second Scott on complexity for choosing an interface.

I agree that interface selection can be made using an interface weighting method. However, weight computation needs to take into account various criteria: obviously network access condition, but also the type of application (applications may have different QoS requirements), user preferences and operator policies, interface cost, L2/L3 authentication/security capabilities, and so on... Interface weight must be computed in advance but also be recomputed during session; network condition may change during the session and interface reselection triggered (if mobility supported). IMHO, the proposed algorithm is too simplistic with regards to interface selection problem in MIF context. Usually, interface selection is performed by a connection manager having interfaces to different layers.

I'm also concerned with DNS requests sent over all interfaces. IMHO, this is a waste of resource; besides draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection clearly states that this practice should be avoided.

Pierrick