RE: [Mip4] Query regarding MN-AAA authenticator calculation.

"McCann Peter-A001034" <pete.mccann@motorola.com> Tue, 07 November 2006 17:44 UTC

Subject: RE: [Mip4] Query regarding MN-AAA authenticator calculation.
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:42:20 -0500
From: McCann Peter-A001034 <pete.mccann@motorola.com>
To: Arun SG <arunsg@airvana.com>, mip4@ietf.org

Hi, Arun,

Arun SG wrote:
> Hello,
> Please refer to the old thread pasted below. Can someone please
> provide a few followup clarifications ?
>
> 1. What is the current status of 3012bis?

3012bis is currently in AUTH48, one of the very last stages before
publication.  I think we are still waiting on responses from a couple
of the authors.

> 2. This para in 3012 and 3012bis states:
>
> If the MN-AAA Authentication extension (see Section 6) is present in
> the message, or if an NAI extension is included indicating that the
> mobile node belongs to a different administrative domain, the foreign
> agent may take actions outside the scope of this protocol
> specification to carry out the authentication of the mobile node.
>
> Does this then mean that this specification is restricted to the case
> when the MN, FA and AAA all belong to the same administrative domain?

Certainly not.  It just says that the action taken by the FA to
validate the MN-AAA extension is outside the scope of this document.

> 3. While CHAP_SPI declares that MD5 is to be used, I could not find a
> description of how the "key" that is to be used in MD5 is obtained.
> Is there an implicitly understanding that this is preshared, or
> perhaps obtained through some other key exchange mechanims ?

The "key" is a long-term secret shared between the MN and the
home AAA server.  It is configured using out-of-band mechanisms that
are outside the scope of 3012.

> MD5      (High-order byte from Challenge || Key || <<<<------is this
> thru' IKE or some other means?
>         MD5(Preceding Mobile IP data ||
>         Type, Subtype (if present), Length, SPI) ||
>         Least-order 237 bytes from Challenge))
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Arun

Hope this helps.