Re: [Mip4] Summing up: draft-ietf-mip4-mobike-connectivity-01.txt

Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com> Fri, 22 December 2006 19:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:11:06 -0800
From: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>
To: McCann Peter-A001034 <pete.mccann@motorola.com>, "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>, Hans Sjostrand <hans@ipunplugged.com>
Subject: Re: [Mip4] Summing up: draft-ietf-mip4-mobike-connectivity-01.txt

Hello,

Vijay Devarapalli wrote:
> 3.1.2.  Access mode: 'f'
>
>    This access mode is standard Mobile IPv4 [2] with a foreign agent
>    care-of address.  The mobile node can use this mode only when it
>    detects that it is connected to an internal trusted network and also
>    detects a foreign agent on the access network.
>
> This addresses part of Hans' concerns about using
> Internet FAs.
>
> Now coming to the mobile node's behavior, there seems
> to be consensus for the mobile node to always configure
> a CoA, check reachability to the i-HA and and if
> connected to a trusted network, may use a FA if one
> available on the trusted access network. If we agree on
> this, I can propose some text.

Here is some text to address this.

In section 3, add the following two paragraphs.

    Whenever the mobile node attaches to a new link, it may encounter a
    foreign agent.  The mobile node MUST not use the foreign agent
    care-of address with the i-HA when attached to an untrusted access
    network.  The default behavior for the mobile node is to always
    configure an address from the access link using DHCP.  The mobile
    node then checks if it is attached to a trusted access network by
    sending a registration request to the i-HA in the co-located care-of
    address mode.  If the mobile node discovers that it is attached to a
    trusted access network, then it MAY start using foreign agent care-of
    address with the i-HA.  In order to do this, the mobile node has to
    perform a new registration with the i-HA.

    The mobile node can use a foreign agent on a untrusted access
    network, if there is an external home agent that the mobile node is
    able to use.  The use of an external home agent in the untrusted
    access network and a home agent in the trusted access network at the
    same time is described in detail in [6].

In section 3.2, replace

    When the mobile node is inside the enterprise network and attached to
    the intranet, it uses Mobile IPv4 [2] for subnet mobility.  The
    mobile node uses a foreign agent care-of address, if a foreign agent
    is available.  Otherwise it acquires an address through DHCP on the
    access link and uses it as the co-located care-of address for Mobile
    IP.

with the following

    When the mobile node is inside the enterprise network and attached to
    the intranet, it uses Mobile IPv4 [2] for subnet mobility.  The
    mobile node always configures a care-of address address through DHCP
    on the access link and uses it as the co-located care-of address.
    The mobile node MAY use a foreign agent care-of address, if a foreign
    agent is available.  However, the foreign agent care-of address is
    used only when the mobile node is attached to the trusted access
    network.

You can find the pre02 version of the draft at
http://dvijay.com/ietf/internet-drafts/mip4/mipsec.txt

Vijay