Re: [Mip4] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-08.txt

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 30 January 2008 13:49 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:48:54 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: George Tsirtsis <tsirtsis@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mip4] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-08.txt
Cc: mip4@ietf.org

George Tsirtsis wrote:
> Alex,
>
> I see that v08 still shows all Sub-Types and Code fields in the
> message extensions as "TBA". While the extension Type field will be
> assigned by IANA, should we not assign numbers to the Sub-Types and
> Codes as part of the draft, before it becomes an RFC? or is this
> handled differently?

Well we took a direction by which we request IANA to assign both that
RegReq Type ("Mobile Network Extension") as well as the Sub-Types and
the Codes in both MNExtensions and in the existing RegReq and RegRep.
This involves modification of existing MIP4 sub-registries and
assignments of new ones.

The policies of future assignments within the new sub-registries are
"Standards Action" or "IESG Approval".  This means what it means for
"NEMOv4 Tunneling Extension" Sub-Type of draft-ietf-mip4-nemov4-fa-01.txt

I think this course of action is satisfying many involved parties.

Alex
PS: "Standards Action", "IESG Approval" and other policies for future
assignments within a new space/registry are desribed in
draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-08.txt