Re: [Mip6] NEW ID ACTION:draft-suh-mipshop-fmcast-mip6-00.txt

Thomas Schmidt <Schmidt@fhtw-berlin.de> Sat, 06 March 2004 17:42 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:44:05 +0100
From: Thomas Schmidt <Schmidt@fhtw-berlin.de>
To: Rod.Walsh@nokia.com
CC: joo.suh@samsung.com, mip6@ietf.org, mobopts@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Mip6] NEW ID ACTION:draft-suh-mipshop-fmcast-mip6-00.txt
Sender: mip6-admin@ietf.org

Hi Rod, hi Joo,

Rod.Walsh@nokia.com wrote:

> I quickly read your Internet draft with interest and would like to
> know if you will intend to discuss it on the mobopts mail list?
>
> I have been working on multicast to mobiles for some time and would
> be happy to exchange ideas.
>

> Here are some early thoughts on your document:
>
> The problem and solution seem to do a good job for multicast
> receivers.

A matter of debate could be, wether FMIPv6 is a well suited fundament
for multicast distribution. FMIP must be eager to anticipate handovers
(if it will work well), thus exhibiting a significant likelyhood of
wrong predictions.

In the multicast case this will lead to an unwanted quantity of uneeded
remote subscriptions, unneccessary branches in the multicast trees ...

... from our point of view the smoother hmipv6 MAP architecture is much
more appropriate as multicast agents ...

> How does the PAR learn of the NAR address? (In the sense that: Is
> there something that would be in scope for Multicast Fast Handover,
> that's different from unicast/existing fast handover?)

If we understand correctly: This is just taken from FMIPv6's prediction.
  There should be nothing exclusive to multicast.

> Some discussion on IGMP/MLD-snooping and the role of access points as
> switches could be appropriate too - to deal with the situation where
> AP changes but AR does not.

Mhmm, this might be more a concern of underlying L2 specification. The
FMIPv6 approach leaves L2 specs to additional documents.

> Also, there are several security risks. Of particular trouble are the
> DoS possibilities of setting up state in many "NARs" by a
> broken/malicious "MN", and sending to multiple ARs malicious
> multicast data (e.g. to destroy usability of the "expected service").
> SSM is worth mentioning and also access control. As far as I am
> certain there are 2 ongoing activities on multicast (AR) access
> control: MCOP, IGAP. And I think there's a 3rd in MAGMA - so no need
> to address the whole access control solution, just explain the impact
> and use for this fast multicast handover. (I guess you already have
> these ideas for the 01 draft :)
>
> Tunnelling multicast from PAR to NAR is not so scalable, this should
> be mentioned. Perhaps suggest a means to time-out these tunnels so
> that the tunnelling is only transitory since using the "PAR" as the
> tunnel other-end point reduces scalability of that AR.

Tunneling in this approach only occurs, if NAR refuses to subscribe to
the wanted multicast group ... question is: when will this happen? On
which bases would a NAR decide not to support a specific group?

Cheers,

Thomas & Matthias

<more of the previous mails to come for mobopts folks:>