Re: [Mip6] Questions ondraft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-00.txt

"Junghoon Jee" <jhjee@etri.re.kr> Fri, 28 April 2006 16:56 UTC

From: Junghoon Jee <jhjee@etri.re.kr>
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>, mip6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mip6] Questions ondraft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-00.txt
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:56:48 +0900

Hi Alex,
Let me try to reply to your questions.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexandru Petrescu" <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>
To: <mip6@ietf.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 1:29 AM

> Dear authors of draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-00.txt, I
> have some questions and comments on this draft.
>
> Shouldn't the DHCP options defined in this draft be proposed to the DHC
> WG and not to the MIP6 WG?

There's already a draft for that purpose:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jang-dhc-haopt-02.txt

>> [fallback case] In the fallback case, the mobile node is not able to
>>  acquire the home agent information via DHCPv6.  The mobile node
>> performs DNS queries to discover the home agent address as defined in
>>  [BOOT-SPLIT].  To perform DNS based home agent discovery, the mobile
>>  node needs to know the DNS server address.  How the mobile node
>> knows the DNS server address is outside the scope of this document.
>
> What are the conditions in which the fallback case occurs?  Is it
> because DHCP does not respond?  Or just that the DHCP responds with an
> error when queried about HA?

If I understood your question correctly,
the fallback case here means where the integrated scenario does not apply,
more specifically ASA != MSA.

> If the latter then the DNS address could be still obtained from DHCP.
> Otherwise, the DNS address can be pre-configured (in /etc/resolv.conf)
> or from a LCP (link-control protocol).  I don't understand why it's left
> outside the scope of this document.
>
>> (2) The mobile node sends a DHCPv6 Information Request message
>> [RFC3315] to the All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers multicast address.
>>  In this message the mobile node (DHCP client) SHALL include the
>> Option Code for Home Network Identifier Option [HAOPT] in the
>> OPTION_ORO, Home Network Identifier Option with id-type set to 1 and
>> the Home Network Identifier field set to the network realm of the
>> home MSP [HAOPT].
>
> Currently a network realm part of NAI designates several subnets (HAOPT
> uses NAI).  So if in a network domain (realm) there are several subnets,
> there should be several home agents there.  How does DHCP and AAAH know
> which HA to return to MN when the identifier is only a generic network
> realm?

Not so sure if I understood your question here:
Anyway, MSP/AAAH assigns a HA in the integrated scenario.

Thanks,
-Junghoon