Re: [MEXT] Thoughts on the different nemo ro approaches

"CERASI Eivan" <eivan.cerasi@eurocontrol.int> Tue, 29 July 2008 14:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:06:18 +0200
From: CERASI Eivan <eivan.cerasi@eurocontrol.int>
To: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Cc: mext <mext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MEXT] Thoughts on the different nemo ro approaches
Sender: mext-bounces@ietf.org

Just another thought on the subject.

In their own way, both solutions assume that a service provider between
the MR and CN is capable of providing managed value-added services to
perform RO.

This is very different to RO for MIP; I was wondering if it would make
sense to apply the NEMO RO solution as a means to enhance MIP RO. I
recognise it is not really within the charter but it may be an
additional aspect to support solution space and make more universal that
for the aviation sector.

Eivan

> Hi,
>
> I have been reading the drafts people have submitted for the nemo ro
> work for the aviation case.
> In particular, i have read
>
> draft-bauer-mext-aero-topology-00
> draft-wakikawa-mext-haha-interop2008-00
> draft-wakikawa-mext-cr-consideration-00
> draft-wakikawa-nemo-orc-01
> draft-thubert-mext-global-haha-00
> draft-bernardos-mext-nemo-ro-cr-00
>
> Essentially we have two different approaches, one based on distributed

> HAs and another one based on the concept of the correspondent router.
> It seems to me that the CR based approach is more complex than the ha
> based approach, so i guess that a first legitimate question to ask is
> where does the complexity springs from?
> One observation that i would like to contrast with the group is that
> the HA based approach makes the following fundamental assumption: A
> set of globally distributed anchor points that are within the _same_
> administrative domain are available and are enough to provide the RO
> capabilities required.
>
> OTOH, the CR based approach makes a different assumption, which is
> that a set of distributed anchor points with which is possible to have

> a trust relationship are available and are enough to provide the RO
> capabilties required.
>
> The difference as i understand it, is that the HA based approach
> assumes that the anchor points are in the same admin domain (or that
> they are within domains with strong admin relationship, which allows
> them to do functions that are usually not acceptable across domains)
> and the CR based approach does not makes that assumption.
>
> By assuming that these anchor points are in the same admin domain, the

> HA based approach can take advantage of the following functions that
> are not available across domains (i may be missing some
> function):
> - anycast routing
> - host/MNP route injection to sink traffic for the proper anchor
> point.
> - strong state synchronization between HAs/anchor points
> The usage of these tools indeed make life easier, but they impose some

> constraints.
> I think that we need to understand these constraints, and figure out
> whether they are acceptable for the aviation community. In other
> words, i think that a relevant exercise at this point is to try to
> figure out how a HA based approach can be deployed within the aviation

> scenario described in draft-bauer-mext-aero-topology-00
>
> So, let's consider how this could be deployed.
>
> A first deployment scenario would be that the HAs are deployed within
> a gACSP. This seems like the perfect match. The gACSP has global
> infrastructure, so it can be assumed to have HAs distributed along the

> globe and they can provide reasonable good enough rute optimization.
> So, if an aricraft is using the gACSP all the way, this seems to work
> [...]

____

This message and any files transmitted with it are legally privileged and intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Any unauthorised use or disclosure of the content of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or legal commitment on the part of EUROCONTROL, unless it is confirmed by appropriately signed hard copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender.