RE: [Mip6] WG LC: I-D draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrap-ps-01.txt (ProblemStatement for bootstrapping Mobile IPv6 )

"Alpesh" <alpesh@cisco.com> Thu, 03 March 2005 21:56 UTC

From: Alpesh <alpesh@cisco.com>
To: 'Junghoon Jee' <jhjee@etri.re.kr>, mip6@ietf.org, 'Gopal Dommety' <gdommety@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [Mip6] WG LC: I-D draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrap-ps-01.txt (ProblemStatement for bootstrapping Mobile IPv6 )
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:54:46 -0800
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

Junghoon:

Please see inline:

If I understand your question correctly, the network access service should
always be performed. Network access is required to send/receive packets.
Now, whether access authentication/authorization is performed or not is
another issue. Were you refering to this later case?

> Section 7.1  Mobility Service Subscription Scenario => There
> is no words about network access service.

The last paragraph mentions this. What specific details were you looking
for?

> Q2. Does we have to consider the case of  infrastructure-less
> scenario when we develop a bootstrapping solution or not ?
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Section 7.4 Infrastructure-less scenario [Page 17] This
> specific scenario is not supported in this document.  The
> reason for this is described in Section 9.
> Section 9. Security Considerations
> Thus, the case of infrastructure-less network where there is
> absolutely no pre-mediated trust is kept outside of scope of
> this document.
> => It seems that we don't need to consider the
> infrastructure-less scenario
>      when we create a bootstrapping solution.

This is explicitly left outside the scope.

> Q3. Does a bootstrapping solution should support local home
> agent assignment or not ?
> Section 5.1.2  Dynamic Home Agent Assignment [Page 10] Local
> home agents
>       The mobile node's home ASP may want to allow a local roaming
>       partner ASP to assign a local home agent for the mobile node.
>       This is useful both from the point of view of communications
>       efficiency, and has also been mentioned as one approach
> to support
>       location privacy.
> => What is the exact meaning of the 'useful' and 'also been
> mentioned' ?
>      Is the local home agent function optional[MAY] ?

So, this is an ancillary need. It is definitely not must from this draft.

-a