Re :Re: [Mobopts] Re: [Mip6] NEW ID ACTION:draft-suh-mipshop-fmcast-mip6-00.txt

Kyungjoo Suh <joo.suh@samsung.com> Thu, 04 March 2004 01:06 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:00:59 +0000
From: Kyungjoo Suh <joo.suh@samsung.com>
Subject: Re :Re: [Mobopts] Re: [Mip6] NEW ID ACTION:draft-suh-mipshop-fmcast-mip6-00.txt
To: James Kempf <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>, ??? <joo.suh@samsung.com>
Cc: Thomas Schmidt <Schmidt@fhtw-berlin.de>, "Rod.Walsh@nokia.com " <Rod.Walsh@nokia.com>, "mip6@ietf.org " <mip6@ietf.org>, "mobopts@irtf.org " <mobopts@irtf.org>
Sender: mip6-admin@ietf.org

HI, Rod, Thoma, and James,

First of all, thank you so much for reviewing the draft.
Here I quickly answer for some questions.
welcome any comments.

 How does the PAR learn of the NAR address ?

answer : We assume that the proposed scheme is operating on top of FMIPv6.
In the FMIPv6 spec. it is assumed that PAR knows the NAR's address. Actually, this problem is not mentioned
in the FMIPv6 spec. but left as unsolved problem. The problem is addressed in Seamoby WG. It is related to
the CARD (Candidate Access Router Discovery) protocol and the reverse address translation (RAT). Precise information
can be obtained from the current draft of the CARD protocol. In this version of draft, we do not address this
problem because we are not proposing an enhancement version of FMIPv6 but a mutlicast protocol operating with FMIPv6.
Therefore we assumed the same network situations (environments) as it assumed in the FMIPv6 draft.
Except this assumption, to know the NAR address in advance, roughly there are two methods that can be applied to the
proposed protocol. First, we may explicitly preconfigure or set the address of neighboring AR (this address is the address
assigned to the wireless interface of the AR) to each AR.
Second, a neighbor AR learning algorithm (NALA) can be used. To learn the neighbor AR's address, MN may send
the previous AR's address to its current AR after performing handoff. Using this method, AR can learn the addresses of
neighboring ARs. For more precise information on the second method, please refer to the ARIP draft (draft-....).

Some discussion on IGMP/MLD-snooping and the role of access points as switches could be appropriate too-
to deal with the situation where AP changes but AR does not.

answer : In this version of draft, we only assume that the AR has the functionality of a AP to simplify our ideas.
In the next version, we will also consider the situations what you mentioned.
(draft-ietf-magma-snoop-10.txt : Considerations for IGMP and MLD Snooping Switches)
(draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy-04.txt : IGMP/MLD-based Multicast Forwarding ("IGMP/MLD Proxying"))

Security Risks.

answer : You're right. We just explain the protocol operation in this version. And we are going to include the solution
for security risk in next version. As you mentioned, existing solutions such as MCOP, IGAP, and MAGMA to achieve SSM
can be applied to our proposal.
But, as I mentioned the operation of the proposed protocol is operating on top of FMIPv6. If FMIPv6 is secure enough, there
may be no problems at all what you mentioned. This is because by the secure operations (signalings) of FMIPv6 itself (we think
the secure operation of FMIPv6 is not fully addressed in the WG yet). such as secured (AAA passed) Router Solicitation for Proxy,
Proxy Router Advertisement, HI, HACK, FBU and etc. The situation (DoS possibilities) happens when the malicious HI message is
received at NAR not knowing that the message is generated by some attackers. But, the malicious HI messages cannot be generated
if only authorized MNs are allowed to perform the FMIPv6 procedure. Even with this assumption (Secure FMIPv6), we admit that
there are a lot of security holes that we didn't think of.

Tunnelling

answer : As mentioned earlier, our proposal is based on the FMIPv6 protocol. In the FMIPv6 protocol, there is
a tunnelling scheme between PAR and the NCoA to forwarding data destined to the MN during MN's handoff. The FMIPv6
protocol only explains how create this tunnel. There is no explicit scheme for tunnel destruction. But, I think that
the tunnels in the FMIPv6 spec. are soft-state based tunnels as they are in MIPv6. In other words, those tunnels are
destroyed after some predefined threshold time for existence.
Also we may consider an explicit tunnel destroy mechanism using MLD Done message. In our proposal, MN sends the MLD Done
message to the PAR when it start receiving multicast packets directly from NAR. Therefore, PAR can destroy the
tunnel when it receives the MLD Done message.
However, thanks about your pointing outs.

Scope of draft

You're right. Our current draft concentrating on solving the multicast receiver problem when it handoffs.
We also considered the case when MN becomes a sender. Two distinct mechanisms that we are currently thinking exist for
a multicast sender problem.
The first solution is a quite primitive one and it is to make MN to use the home-agent based multicast scheme when
it is a multicast sender.
In the second solution, MN may use the temporal "reverse" tunnel from PAR to MN until NAR finishes the join process to
the multicast tree. We have a plan to include the multicast sender situation in the next version.

Reference

answer : We know that draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-24.txt is last version and will be RFC soon.

Again, thank you  for your  comments.

best regards,
Joo (Kyungjoo Suh)