Re: [Mip6] AD review of draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split

"James Kempf" <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com> Fri, 16 March 2007 13:16 UTC

From: James Kempf <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, Gerardo Giaretta <gerardo.giaretta@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mip6] AD review of draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-split
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:27:33 -0800

>>> There are good reasons why using a proxy to do the
>>> DynDNS update from your behalf makes sense. But I
>>> don't think the above is such a good reason.  The
>>> route optimization redirect problem assumes that
>>> traffic from an ongoing session is suddenly moved
>>> to a new address. If you just change the DNS information,
>>> ongoing sessions are not affected, and all new sessions
>>> go through the usual TCP slow start etc.
>>>
>>> (A good reason why it makes sense to use a proxy
>>> is that then you just need a secret between the
>>> DNS server and the home agent, not between the
>>> DNS server and every mobile node.)
>>>

>> I'm fine with removing that text. However, I would like to hear
>> thoughts from James, since he has been very active in that part of the
>> draft.
>
> Ok.

Sure, go ahead and remove it. The point Jari raised about maintaining a
single SA between the DNS server and the HA rather than multiple ones should
be sufficient motivation.

>>> Yes -- but can you write this in more explicit
>>> form? For instance, I assume that you meant
>>> the FQDN must appear in some specific field
>>> in the certificate.
>>>

>> Yes, this is certainly one option. Again I would leave to James the
>> proposed text on this.
>>

> Ok. James?

It is a little tough to be more precise about this since the IKEv2 spec
defines no less that 12 different certificate formats that may be used, and
ultimately concludes that the exact certificate encoding is out of scope of
the spec. In RFC 4718, Paul and Pasi recommend restricting use to only four
types to facilitate interoperability. One of the recommended types in both
documents is "X.509 Certificate - Signature". We could put more text in as
follows:

       Since the IKEv2 specification [ref] does not include a required
certificate
       type, it is not possible to specify precisely how the Moible Node's
FQDN
       should appear in the certificate. However, as an example, if the
certificate
       type is "X.509 Certificate - Signature" (one of the recommended
types)
       then the FQDN may appear in the subjectAltName attribute
      extension [ref2].

[ref2] Housley, R., Polk, W., Ford, W., and Solo, D., "Internet X.509 Public
Key Infrastructure Certificate and Certificate Revocation List (CRL)
Profile", RFC 3280, April, 2002.

How does that sound?

                    jak