RE: [Mip6] comments on draft-le-aaa-mipv6-requirements-03.txt

Giaretta Gerardo <Gerardo.Giaretta@TILAB.COM> Sun, 29 February 2004 11:14 UTC

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:09:14 +0100
From: Giaretta Gerardo <Gerardo.Giaretta@TILAB.COM>
Subject: RE: [Mip6] comments on draft-le-aaa-mipv6-requirements-03.txt
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@kolumbus.fi>
Cc: franck.le@nokia.com, mip6@ietf.org
Sender: mip6-admin@ietf.org

Hi Jari and Franck,

> Technically, this is not exactly the case. There is no reason
> why you'd
> have to bind network access and mobility service together. In fact,
> doing so may limit the deployment of mobility to only those locations
> which offer a sufficiently updated network service, AAA
> infrastructure,
> and are willing to provide this service.
>
> Don't get me wrong -- I think AAA support for MIPv6 would be a good
> thing. Just that I think the stated reason is not as you write above.
> I believe the reason has more to do with the ease at which you can
> enroll yourself to a "Mobile IPv6" service. Here AAA can help, in
> different ways, not all necessarily binding access and mobility to
> each other.

This is exactly what I would say in my previous post (maybe I have been less clear).
I think that network access authorization and "Mobile IPv6 service" authorization should not be bound together; indeed I think it is desirable to authorize the use of "Mobile IPv6" service separately from the network access authorization.

> To give you a practical example, the use of EAP authentication is
> currently popular in many planned networks and protocols, such as
> 802.11 or PANA. Now, if you mobile node is doing EAP FOO
> authentication
> to get access, would we really need anything else than a way to
> do EAP FOO with your home agent as well? Both the access network
> and the home agent could then, independently, contact the user's
> authentication server using AAA protocols such as RADIUS or Diameter.

I think this could be a very good approach...

> >    The Diameter Mobile IPv6 Application is a new
> application extension
>
> Does this mean that a network which currently offers e.g. 802.11i +
> RADIUS + IPv6 would be unable to support Mobile IPv6 until the network
> has been upgraded to use Diameter? I would really like to promote
> Diameter usage, but realistically, I think we need assume
> that existing
> AAA networks are used too, and we should try to place as little new
> requirements on them as possible.
>
> For instance, is there a way where we could accommodate MIPv6 AAA
> requirements without requiring more than RADIUS EAP or Diameter EAP
> support at the AAA infrastructure? Or can we make some parts of the
> AAA exchange optional, so that you get *some* functionality even
> if you just do basic 802.1X + RADIUS.

Well, I know we are talking about requirements and not about solutions, but we have proposed (see http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-giaretta-mip6-authorization-eap-00.txt) a way to authorize and configure Mobile IPv6 based on EAP. MIPv6 information are carried by EAP-TLV and for this reason the solution requires only RADIUS EAP or Diameter EAP. Only AAAH - HA communication needs a new Diameter Application. Moreover, also this new application could be avoided if, as you said, we have a way to do EAP between MN and HA.

Regards,

--Gerardo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by
replying to MailAdmin@tilab.com. Thank you