[MIPSHOP-MIH-DT] RE: comments on initial verison inline(mainly for discovery)

<Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com> Fri, 17 August 2007 17:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:29:55 -0500
From: Gabor.Bajko@nokia.com
To: xiazhongqi@huawei.com, mipshop-mih-dt@ietf.org
Subject: [MIPSHOP-MIH-DT] RE: comments on initial verison inline(mainly for discovery)

Hi,

Valid comments from Sam at least to section 5. Digging back in emails to
find how that text ended up in section 5, I found I sent the wrong text
to Tele some time ago.
Below is the text which should replace any existing text in section5.
Regarding draft-bajko-mos-dhcp-discovey and
draft-bajko-mos-dns-discovery, these should be available in the ietf
directories within a day or two.

Here's the text to section 5:
5.  MoS Discovery

The MoS discovery method depends on whether the MN wants to discover an
MoS in the local network, home network or a remote network other than
home network.

5.1 MoS discovery in the home network

To discover an MoS in the home network, the MN SHOULD use the DNS based
MoS discovery method described in [draft-bajko-dns-discovery]. In order
to use that, the MN MUST first find out the domain name of its home
network. Home domains are usually preconfigured in the MNs, thus the MN
can simply read its configuration data to find out the home domain name
(scenario s1).

Alternatively, the MN MAY use the dhcp options for MoS discovery
[draft-bajko-dhcp-mos]. When the MN is roaming, using this dhcp options
may require the MN to first perform network access authentication
(scenario s3).

5.2 MoS discovery in the local network

(scenario s2)
To discover an MoS in the local network, the MN SHOULD attempt to use
the dhcp options for MoS discovery [draft-bajko-dhcp-mos].

If the dhcp method fails, the MN SHOULD attempt to use the DNS based MoS
discovery method described in [draft-bajko-dns-discovery]. In order to
use that, the MN MUST first learn the domain name of the local network.
There are a number of ways how the domain name of a network can be
learned:

a) DHCP
In order to find out the domain name of the local network, the MN SHOULD
use the dhcpv4 option 15 for learning the domain name  [RFC1533].
Similar solution is available for dhcpv6
[draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain].

b) Reverse dns query
When dhcp does not provide the required domain name, the MN MAY use
reverse dns (dns PTR record) to find the domain name associated with the
IP address it is using in the local network.
Note, that when a NAT device exists between the MN and the local
network, the MN will first need to find out the external IP address of
the NAT device. Some possible methods for determining the NAT's external
IP address are STUN [RFC3489] or UPnP [UPnP_IDG_DCP]. Once the MN
determined the external IP address of the NAT device, it MUST use that
address in the reverse DNS query.

5.3 MoS discovery in a remote network

(scenario s4)
To discover an MoS in a remote network other than home network, the MN
MUST use the DNS based MoS discovery method described in
[draft-bajko-dns-discovery]. In order to use that, the MN MUST first
learn the domain name of the network it is looking for an MoS in.

If the MN does not yet know the domain name of the network, learning it
may require more than one operation, as pre-configuration and dhcp can
not be used. The MN MAY attempt to first discover an MoS in either the
local or home network and query that MoS to find out the domain name of
a specific network or the domain name of a network at a specific
location. Alternatively, the MN MAY query an MoS previously known to
learn the domain name of the desired network.