Re: [Mipshop] [Fwd: Re: [IANA #145901] Last Call: draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh (Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers for 3G CDMA Networks) to Informational RFC]

Hidetoshi Yokota <yokota@kddilabs.jp> Thu, 13 March 2008 10:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:14:19 +0900
From: Hidetoshi Yokota <yokota@kddilabs.jp>
To: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>
Cc: 'Mipshop' <mipshop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Mipshop] [Fwd: Re: [IANA #145901] Last Call: draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh (Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers for 3G CDMA Networks) to Informational RFC]
Sender: mipshop-bounces@ietf.org

Hello Vijay and Amanda,

Thanks for the review. Please see inline:

Vijay Devarapalli wrote:
> FYI

> Re: [IANA #145901] Last Call: draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh (Mobile IPv6 Fast
> Handovers for 3G CDMA Networks) to Informational RFC
> From:
> Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:06:01 -0700
> To:
> drafts-lastcall@icann.org
>
> To:
> drafts-lastcall@icann.org
> CC:
> yokota@kddilabs.jp, gdommety@cisco.com, mipshop-chairs@tools.ietf.org,
> iesg@ietf.org
>

> Amanda Baber via RT wrote:
>> IESG:
>>
>> The IANA has reviewed draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-05.txt, which is
>> currently in Last Call, and has the following comments regarding its
>> publication:
>>
>> Please confirm that the following actions are correct:
>>
>> Action #1:
>> Upon approval of this document, the IANA will make the following
>> assignments in the "ICMPv6 TYPE NUMBERS" registry located at
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmpv6-parameters
>> Registry: "IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Option Formats"
>>
>> Type   Description                         Reference
>> -----  ----------------------------        ---------
>> TBD1   Handover Assist Information Option  [RFC-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-05.txt]
>> TBD2   Mobile Node ID Option               [RFC-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-05.txt]
>
> This looks good.

Yes.

>> Action #2:
>>
>> Upon approval of this document, the IANA will create the following
>> sub-registry in the "ICMPv6 TYPE NUMBERS" registry located at
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmpv6-parameters
>>
>> Sub-registry name: Handover Assist Information Option codes
>> Reference: [RFC-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-05.txt]
>> Registration Procedures: IETF Review or IESG Consensus
>>
>> Value  Description               Reference
>> -----  ------------------------  ---------
>> 1      ANID
>> [RFC-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-05.txt]                             2
>> Sector ID                 [RFC-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-05.txt]
>
> This is correct.

Yes.

>> QUESTION: Is there an upper limit on values that can be assigned
>> (e.g., 255)? Should "0" be marked reserved?
>
> Value '0' should be reserved. 255 is the upper limit.

I agree.

>> Action #3:
>>
>> Upon approval of this document, the IANA will create the following
>> sub-registry in the "ICMPv6 TYPE NUMBERS" registry located at
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmpv6-parameters
>>
>> Sub-registry name: MN ID Option codes
>> Reference: [RFC-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-05.txt]
>> Registration Procedures: IETF Review or IESG Consensus
>>
>> Value  Description                                             Reference
>> -----  -----------------------------------------------------   ---------
>> 1      IMSI ("Mobile Node Identifier Option Subtype" [RFC4283])
>> [RFC-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-05.txt]
>
> This one need some more discussion. I think it is the IANA
> considerations section on the draft that is not clear. Apologize
> for not catching this earlier. I think the authors' intention
> was to re-use the following registry at
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/mobility-parameters
>
> Registry Name: Mobile Node Identifer Option Subtypes
> Reference: [RFC4283]
> Registration Procedures: Standards Action
>
> Registry:
> Value  Description                                Reference
> -----  -----------------------------------------  ---------
> 1      NAI                                        [RFC4283]
>
> The value '2' would be the IMSI.

Yes, this is our intention. Please see also below:

> But then I am not sure if it makes sense to use the same registry
> for two different options, one is a mobility option defined in
> RFC 4283 and the other is an ICMPv6 option defined in
> draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh. Should be go with a separate registry?

Our intention is if we can reuse "Mobile Node Identifier Option
Subtypes" defined by RFC4283 for our MN ID option's Option-Code, then
the needed action is just adding new value "2" for IMSI like the above.
This is like "overloading" of different fields.

If this is confusing, however, we need to add a new Registry Name for MN
ID Option and define two values for NAI and IMSI.

I thought the first approach is simpler, but since I don't know the
convention of IANA assignment, I'll follow its rules.

>> QUESTION: Does section 6.3 require any registrations? If so, which
>> registry is it referring to?
>
> Currently there is no registry for flags in the Binding Update/
> Binding Ack messages. We are debating whether we need to create
> a new registry as part of IANA assignment for
> draft-ietf-netlmm-proxymip6.

I also think it would be very convenient if all the flags are listed
somewhere in the IANA registry. Currently, they are scattered in the
related RFCs and there are some risks of collision if the authors are
not fully aware of all flags (like me:-)). We can continue to discuss
this issue.

Regards,
--
Hidetoshi