[Mipshop] Questions about implementation of FMIPv6

Peng Yongchao <ycpeng@mail.ustc.edu.cn> Mon, 11 October 2004 03:35 UTC

From: Peng Yongchao <ycpeng@mail.ustc.edu.cn>
To: mipshop@ietf.org, mobopts@irtf.org
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:22:37 +0800
Subject: [Mipshop] Questions about implementation of FMIPv6
Sender: mipshop-bounces@ietf.org

Hello folks

Recently I implemented FMIPv6 based on mipv6-1.0-v2.4.22 according to
draft-ietf-mipshop-fast-mipv6-02.txt. From the sight of implementation,
I hope the following trivial changes be made to the draft:

1. In the draft, FNA is a mobility header message, but I think a ICMPv6
message is better. Because FNA MUST contain the link-layer address of
the MN, but no one mobility option defined in rfc3775 can hold
link-layer address. The LLA option defined in the draft is a ICMPv6
message option, isn't it? And FNA may encapsulate FBU, it will be
easier implemented if FNA is a ICMPv6 message.

2. In the draft, when NAR receive FNA, if NCoA is not valid, NAR will
send out RA containing NAACK option. I think a new ICMPv6 message
should be defined as the acknowledgement to FNA, and whether the NCoA
is valid or not, the acknowledgement should be sent out. Because RA is
sent out by a user space daemon program (radvd), not kernel protocol,
so it is not suitable to act as the acknowledgement to FNA. Considering
FNA may be lost because of the unstable signal strength, an acknowledge
to FNA is always needed.

3. In the section 5.5 of the draft, it said that:
   "IP layer mobility, however, introduces its own limits.  IP layer
   handovers should occur at a rate suitable for the MN to update the
   binding of, at least, its HA and preferably that of every CN with
   which it is in communication.  A MN that moves faster than necessary
   for this signaling to complete, which may be of the order of few
   seconds, may start losing packets."
If MN moves too fast, handover may involve 3 (or more) AR: MN moves from
AR1 to AR2, then to AR3. So in the short time that MN connected with
AR2, if MN completed the update the binding, should AR2 be the PAR in
the handover from AR2 to AR3? It seems that the author bypass this
question, but I think it should be answered here..

4. The draft not clarify when fast handover should transit to normal
handover, i.e, after MN received FBACK from PAR, when should it begin
update bindings?  I think it is better to wait several seconds, if we
take into account the ping-pong movement.

5. When should PAR begin forward using tunnel? I think, if PAR received
FBU from new link (reactive fast handover), then it should immediately
begin forward after received HACK from NAR, but if it received FBU from
old link (predictive fast handover), should it wait until MN disconnect
with it?

Sincerely yours,
Y.C. Peng