Re: [Mipshop] Adoption of draft-liebsch-netlmm-transient-bce-pmipv6 as a WG document

"Ahmad Muhanna" <amuhanna@nortel.com> Wed, 22 October 2008 04:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:13:00 -0500
From: Ahmad Muhanna <amuhanna@nortel.com>
To: Ryuji Wakikawa <ryuji.wakikawa@gmail.com>
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mipshop] Adoption of draft-liebsch-netlmm-transient-bce-pmipv6 as a WG document
Sender: mipshop-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Ryuji,

Just like you, I do not have unlimited time to dedicate to this issue:)
but since there is still some claims that this tBCE, specifically what
is referenced as usecase 1, can be addressed by implementation tweak,
tricks, or kluge at the LMA, I would like to explain a little more.

As I said earlier, there are two different cases here.

Case 1:
=======
This one you apparently referenced in your original email where the LMA
may keep the BCE which points to the pMAG for a little longer to capture
in-flight uplink packets. In this case, the LMA has already received a
PBU and sent a PBA to the nMAG and the tunnel has been switched to pint
to the nMAG, taking in consideration the above trick.

In this case, apparently the MN (previous) Proxy BCE had a pCoA which
points to the pMAG and this was established via a secure PMIPv6
signaling. Additionally the LMA has received another secure PBU from the
nMAG to indicate the mobile node movement and HO process and to update
the MN proxy point of attachment by updating the MN proxy BCE with the
new pCoA.

>From a security prospective, someone may argue that a preconfigured
timer may solve this issue and there is NOT much great security risk
involved in here, for the fact that the MN PMA (MAG) has signaled via
secure PBU that the MN is in the process of handoff in order for the LMA
to update the MN proxy BCE.

>From security prospective, the problem rises when some people think of
the usecase 1 as defined in tBCE draft as the same as this one!:)

Case 2:
=======
The case which we refer to as usecase 1 in the tBCE draft is as follows:

The LMA has a proxy BCE for the MN which has a pCoA that points to the
pMAG.
The LMA has a routing entry for the MN HNP which points to the pMAG-LMA
tunnel.

ALL of a sudden, the LMA receives an IP-in-IP uplink data packet from a
MAG, it happens to be the nMAG with a payload carrying a data packet
with a source IP address which belongs to a MN HNP that is supposed to
be hosted at the pMAG.

NOW:
====
What is the implementation trick that those who claim that this tBCE
usecase can be addressed ONLY by defining that implementation trick at
the LMA side and NO Need for a protocol?

A claim like this can for sure be categorized as one of the followings:

1. A Claim that does NOT understand the security implications of such a
claim and this case. BTW: UNTIL now, the details of such implementation
CLAIM is still UNCLEAR.

2. A Claim that probably has some understanding of the security
implication and its impact on PMIPv6 BUT at the same time has certain
undisclosed security assumptions THAT IS NOT in line to those of the
Proxy MIPv6 Domain as defined in RFC5213.

Finally, IMO, any action that the LMA MAY take based ONLY on receiving
an uplink data packet that is coming from a nMAG is similar to the "path
management" issue that we have discussed on netlmm mailing list in which
some people argued that the LMA can take an action based ONLY on
receiving an uplink data packet from a MAG while the LMA does not have a
BCE for the MN, I mean for the HNP. At least that was set to rest on
netlmm mailing list and I am sure this one will do too.

Cheers and sorry for the long email!

Regards,
Ahmad