[Mipshop] MIPSHOP Session I Minutes

"Vijay Devarapalli" <Vijay.Devarapalli@AzaireNet.com> Thu, 07 December 2006 00:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:37:52 -0800
From: Vijay Devarapalli <Vijay.Devarapalli@AzaireNet.com>
To: mipshop@ietf.org
Subject: [Mipshop] MIPSHOP Session I Minutes

Hello,

here are the draft minutes for Session I. please send
me any errors/revisions. Session II minutes will follow.

Session I
---------

Tuesday, November 7, 1300-1500

1. Agenda review, Blue sheets and volunteers for
   notes and Jabber                                       5 Mins

2. WG status and I-Ds update                             15 Mins
   draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-00.txt
   draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis-00.txt
   draft-kempf-mipshop-handover-key-00.txt
   draft-vidya-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-03.txt
   draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e-00.txt
   draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-00.txt
   draft-soliman-mipshop-4140bis-00.txt
   draft-haddad-mipshop-hmipv6-security-06

Vidya : how can we have a last call on FMIPv6 before we know what
the security solution is?

Vijay : draft-kempf-mipshop-handover-key-00 -- waiting for mob dir review

Alper Yegin: Have you received the mobility directorate review of
draft-kempf-mipshop-handover-key

James Kempf: I don't think it needs any more review. It is ready for WG
adoption and last call.

Alper: There are a couple of solutions for the same problem, shouldn't
we review the alternatives?

Vijay: If the alternatives provide a significant improvement, yes.

Alper: Why aren't the others considered as equal options?

Vijay: The WG has spent a lot of time working on this. It is up to
the authors of the alternate solutions to convince the WG.

James: we have been working on this document for 3 years. We should
go forward with what we have, and once these are finished, we can look
at the others.

Vidya: Vidya - If we continue process and exhaust the solution space
before we pick something, it's not possible. The SEND-based solution
has been around a long time, and AAA 1 1/2 to 2 years. New proposals
shouldn't be related to existing documents

Alper: Shouldn't we evaluate all the proposed solutions now?

Jari Arkko: Let's look at the presentations today and see how the
alternatives are and make the decisions then.

Vidya: The documents have been through WG last call on adoption. All the
concerns have been fixed.

Vijay: It would be good to see if there are any issues and if the
alternative solutions address them better.

Vijay: May-June timeframe on HMIPv6 solution.

Vijay: 3g CDMA document is being brought closer to 3GPP2 specs

Vijay: 802.16e doc is postponed for now to wait for 16ng to make more
progress

Stefano: MIH Solutions cannot be processed before adopting a problem
statement

3. Applying Cryptographically Generated Addresses
   and Credit-Based Authorization to Mobile IPv6
   Christian Vogt
   draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba-01.txt                     10 Mins

Wassim: Problem with minimum RSA key length of 384.. It might be
possible to use integer factoring to break the private key at 384 bits.
Three options for solving this.

Hesham : Do you have a preference? I think the third one makes sense.

Wassim: The 1st one, hard coded RSA key length and the 3rd one, encoding
the key lngeth into CGA would make sense.

Hesham : What if the CN doesn't agree with minimum and rejects it?
I'm fine with 1st and3rd

Zhen: 704 should be used as a minimum key length, application dependent
Madison: There is research on thuis

Jari A. : Option 3 would be the right way forward. Perhaps we could
combine with option 1. But I don't know if that's really needed. These
are keys only used for address ownership, not banking.

4. Integrating IBC with CGA in Mobile IPv6
   Zhen Cao
   draft-cao-mipshop-ibc-cga-00.txt                      15 Mins

Hesham: Could you explain the autoconfig attack?

Arkko: Attacker generates its own keypair and address. What is the
attack?

Cao: If the CGA is used for other purposes than address ownership, then
this is a problem.

Vidya: CGA is not meant to be used for authentication.
Cao: IBC will allow to extend the use of CGAs for authentication.

Vidya: Why is there a need to add authentication to CGA?
Cao: Without authentication the end user cannot be authenticated as
being trusted.

Vidya: There are other alternatives for this.
Cao: This allows to extend...

Vidya: Entity authentication vs. message authentication. Entity
authentication cannot be achieved without infrastructure.

?: Are the CGAs to be enhanced to be used to authenticate the user
using the computer?
Cao: Yes.

Vidya: How is this diffreent from certificates?
?: You do have a TTP?
Cao: yes.

?: What is the benefit over putting CGA keys to DNSSec?

Hesham: What types of applications are you planning this for?

Hesham: Is this the right WG for this work?

Cao: IBC-identity can be used in place of public key for CGA signature
with the help of a KDC.

?: Could be used for FMIPv6 authentication.

J. Kempf: We have done lots of work on this area. Two fundmamental
problems: 1. You cannot use this in an open world. Similar problems as
with PKI.

2. Algorithms are not performing well, 1-2 orders of magnitude worse
than RSA.  Does not think that it is a general solution, although there
are some special cases in which it could be used.

Cao: Trust problem

James Kempf: Address is probably not the right place to do this.

James Kempf: Is tate-pairing needed?

Cao: Depends on the ECC signature used?

James Kempf: ECC also requires this generally, the exceptions have other
problems. Ok for email, but not for IPsec.

Cao: Tate-pairing is not used in the proposal.

Stefano: Move the discussion to the mailing list.

5. Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers for 3G CDMA Networks
   Hidetoshi Yokota
   draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh-01.txt                        20 Mins

Intention to apply draft to network controlled handoffs in 3gpp2.

Hesham:: (Immediate Fast handover slide 1) This is not fast handover?