Re: [Mipshop] FMIPv6 Reactive Handover - HI/HAck

"James Kempf" <Kempf@docomolabs-usa.com> Tue, 23 August 2005 16:15 UTC

From: James Kempf <Kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>
To: Narayanan Vidya-CVN065 <vidya@motorola.com>, 'Subba Reddy' <subbareddy@samsung.com>, 'Junghoon Jee' <jhjee@etri.re.kr>, mipshop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mipshop] FMIPv6 Reactive Handover - HI/HAck
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:15:37 -0700
Sender: mipshop-bounces@ietf.org

MessageVidya,

If it is routed through the NAR rather than sent to it, the NAR can't insert any inter-router authentication. The FBU is strictly between the MN and PAR, modulo any Routing Headers or such that are added.

I think you are right that HI/HAck are not needed on reactive handover. The MN will have done oDAD on the new link (and DHCP if stateful) prior to the tunneled packets showing up on NAR, and so the MN will be in a position to answer the NAR's NS with a definitive NA (if the oDAD completed successfully) having an SLLAO. Thus, no need for HI/HAck to confirm the address.

It could be used for other reasons, like CT for example, but that's independent of its function in FMIP.

            jak