[Mipshop] Re: Review of draft-vidya-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-00.txt

Julien Bournelle <julien.bournelle@int-evry.fr> Mon, 11 July 2005 10:39 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:37:20 +0200
From: Julien Bournelle <julien.bournelle@int-evry.fr>
To: James Kempf <kempf@docomolabs-usa.com>
Cc: Gerardo Giaretta <Gerardo.Giaretta@TILAB.COM>, Julien Bournelle <julien.bournelle@int-evry.fr>, mipshop@ietf.org, Venkitaraman Narayanan-CNV002 <Narayanan.Venkitaraman@motorola.com>, mobopts@irtf.org
Subject: [Mipshop] Re: Review of draft-vidya-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa-00.txt
Sender: mipshop-bounces@ietf.org

Hi james,

 thanks for your comments,

 I answer here to your basic architectural comment.

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 04:05:04PM -0700, James Kempf wrote:
> [...]
> accomplish is to derive and distribute another set of keys as part of the
> host to access network AAA association, and therefore it would seem to have
> a natural dependence on the access network authentication protocol. The
> result was kind of unsatisfying, as it left the protocol somewhat ungrounded
> and lacking a concrete connection with a straightforward path toward
> implementation and deployment, when, in fact, one of the stated reasons for
> doing an AAA-based protocol in the first place was to make implementation
> and deployment simpler by leveraging off of the existing AAA infrastructure.
>
> For example, since the protocol description in Section 3 does not mention an
> encryption security association between the AAA server and the MN, the nonce
> sent by the AAA server to the MN seems to be sent in the clear, which gives
> an eavesdropper one piece of information that it could use in some fashion
> to compromise. If you read further (in particular into the Appendix) you see
> that, in fact, EAP can be used for this transaction, and so one of the EAP
> methods that support secure MN-AAA server communication could be used to
> maintain confidentiality on this transaction (though the document provides
> no details on what the EAP extension is). But if EAP isn't used, then what?
>
> My (somewhat radical) suggestion to the authors would be to redesign the
> protocol to couple it tightly with EAP-based network access authentication
> protocol. This would mean:
>
>             - Incorporating the derivation of the HMK from the EAP key
> hiearchy which is now in Appendix A into the protocol directly
>             - Using EAP within the network access authentication transaction
> to exchange parameters to derive the HMK, by defining an EAP extension for
> one of the extensible EAP methods. This will ensure that the transaction
> between the MN and AAA server is properly confidential, protecting MN
> anonymity and the parameters of the key derivation
>             - Instead of defining a separate protocol for preauthentication
> and reauthentication upon handover (Section 4), couple the derivation of new
> HKs via preauthentication or reauthentication on handover to PANA pre- and
> reauthentication. This will allow the protocol to leverage off of the PANA
> work, so that the deep thinking about how to get pre- and reauthentication
> on handover right only needs to be done once, for PANA (where it needs to be
> done anyway).
>
> Incidently, if one of the reasons why this protocol was decoupled from
> network access authentication was to allow IEEE 802.1x or other Layer 2
> protocols to be used, then this needs some rethinking. EAP is used in 802.1x
> anyway so it could still be used for the initial HMK derivation. And the
> 802.1x reauthentication isn't going to be useful for handover key
> reauthentication, because it only deals with APs, which are layer 2 devices,
> whereas this protocol must deal with ARs, which are layer 3 devices, so PANA

 You raise an interesting issue here. Basically, we have 2 options to
 define a solution based on AAA:

 1/ Integrate the solution to network access authentication as you
 propose. This imply two things: first we'll need an interface between
 the authenticator (NAS) and AR and second we'll need to add a mechanism
 to know wether or not the MN wants some keying material for FMIPv6 and
 to add a way to derive and carry the keying material.
 This mechanism could be add either at the EAP layer (implying to modify
 some EAP methods such as it is done in
 draft-giaretta-mipv6-eap-authorization-02.txt) or at layers carrying EAP
 packets (EAP lower-layer + AAA). In the latter case, it implies some
 modifications to both protocols (EAP lower -layer e.g. PANA and the AAA
 protocol).

 2/ Define a decoupled solution as we currently propose. It is more or
 less what has been done for Mobile IPv4 (cf.
 draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-20.txt). This solution can be used in
 more environments (even if http-based redirect authentication is used)
 but is maybe less efficient.

 At the moment, we have chosen the second option. However, I think that
 it is an interesting discussion to have.

 Julien

julien.bournelle at int-evry.fr