Re: RR enhancements (Was: Re: [Mipshop] MIPSHOP discussion on new items and milestones)

Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de> Wed, 23 March 2005 16:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:32:28 +0100
From: Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@kolumbus.fi>
Subject: Re: RR enhancements (Was: Re: [Mipshop] MIPSHOP discussion on new items and milestones)
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org, tm-ro2@tm.uka.de, Samita Chakrabarti <Samita.Chakrabarti@eng.sun.com>
Sender: mipshop-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Samita, hi Jari.

 > All RO methods, including the RFC 3775 one, require
 > some state keeping. CBA/EBU needs at least the
 > counters, maybe some data related to the signaling
 > too. CGA/OMIP requires the shared key to be stored,
 > and lifetime of that key. These are short, the long data
 > items (public key) in the initial exchange are only needed

Our EBU implementation for the MN requires some state for periodic,
proactive HoA tests, which we do on a periodic basis.  This is basically
a timestamp in the binding-update-list entries.  You don't need it if L2
triggers can be used to schedule the proactive HoA tests.

The simple-CBA implementation affects the CN only, where it adds an
integer, the credit counter, to each binding-cache entry as well as a
1-bit flag to differentiate between verified and unverified CoA's.

 > But as I have said before, I think the two schemes are
 > orthogonal, so I don't think we need to choose between
 > them. It appears quite possible to run both of them and
 > get both advantages. (This does not necessarily imply that
 > they have to be in one document, just that they both
 > exist in standardized form.)

I agree.  The HIP folks decided to to do something similar in
Minneapolis.  They will integrate simple-CBA into HIP-based mobility and
multi-homing there.  In fact, CBA can be seen as a *strategy* that
applies to any mobility protocol (which uses IP-address tests).  One
modification might be necessary with some mobility protocols, though.
Namely, there needs to be an early, authenticated message that tells the
CN about the MN's new CoA (or Locator, in HIP terminology).  This
message already exists in HIP, but it does not exist in RFC 3775.  (See
the threat with James, starting with [1].)

- Christian

[1] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mipshop/current/msg01119.html

--
Christian Vogt, Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe
www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/pubkey/