Re: [MLS] Message ordering

"Alexey Ermishkin" <scratch@virgilsecurity.com> Tue, 29 May 2018 21:16 UTC

From: Alexey Ermishkin <scratch@virgilsecurity.com>
To: 'Eric Rescorla' <ekr@rtfm.com>, 'Karthikeyan Bhargavan' <karthik.bhargavan@gmail.com>
Cc: mls@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 02:16:41 +0500
Subject: Re: [MLS] Message ordering

Key management or, let’s call it group sate change, usually happens less frequently than the messaging itself. It can also be performed as a background task, affecting user experience much less.

There could also be some quotas on key rotation depending on the group size.

Suppose we have a policy that that every member can rotate his key only once per 24 hours.
In case of evenly distributed group It would allow a group of ~40k people have state update about every 2 seconds which will reduce the waiting time for newcomers and reduce the possible merge conflicts