Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP and NATs

philippe.gentric@philips.com Mon, 10 February 2003 16:17 UTC

From: philippe.gentric@philips.com
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP and NATs
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@era.ericsson.se>, jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com
Cc: IETF MMUSIC WG <mmusic@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:13:39 +0100
Sender: mmusic-admin@ietf.org

Jonathan you wrote:

>I agree that symmetric RTP is clearly the best solution for RTSP as it
>is used today. I do not believe that relying on source IP being the same
> between the RTSP and RTP sessions is a good idea. This won't work in
>enterprises which may be natting into a multiplicity of IP addresses.

YES!
I fully agree, (see item 3 below)

Magnus,

(Sorry for the delay in responding to previous RTSP&NAT)

Having a RTSP server and a STUN server co-located at the same port
is no concern for us neither in terms of security nor in terms of implementation,
or to be more specific it is largely worth the trouble !
i.e. the trade of is rather simple: either you do that or
NATs will prevent you from using RTSP....

And yes, magnus, you are right, the first key issue is to inform the client about the ports
the server will be listening for incomming STUN packets,
which need to be the RTP and RTCP ports....

let me summarize the 4 open issues I see for RTSP/STUN/NAT:

(1) server signals its RTP and RTCP ports:

it can be done either:
(a) in the SDP (since its per-media ?) as in draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp4nat-03.txt
or
(b) in the headers of the response to DESCRIBE or SETUP

Note that if SETUP is used it is a failed-in-advance attempt
("hey, try again, because this wont work") causing 1 round trip,
so I dont like this solution much, and also there are cases when
you dont use DESCRIBE ...
so I would prefer solution (a)SDP.

2) there is the possiblity that inside DESCRIBE and/or SETUP the client
gives its IP address, then the server could compare this transported client IP
with the apparent IP address of the client,
Then the server could make a specific reply:
-we would need to define a new status-
for example:

 "463: See you from behind a NAT, use STUN on designated ports"

But this solution would only be a safe-guard,
I mean it is smart to assume that:

"When the server indicates explicit RTP and RTCP ports,
the client SHOULD send STUN queries toward the server
at these port numbers and wait for STUN responses
indicating the possible presence of NAT."

so that if you prefer to wait for a possible 463...
you loose... a round trip !-) too bad!

3) One key missing item  (as noted by Jonathan)
is also the capability at SETUP to indicate not only a specific
port number but also a specific IP address since through
some NATs RTP and RTCP packets will come out not only with
an (apparently) random port number but also
from a different apparent IP address !

So we _must_ add this capability....(but it is no big deal right?)

4) you also need to send packets periodically to keep
the NAT mappings "open". But the issue here is simply
to document that, right ?

regards,

Philippe Gentric
Software Architect
Philips MP4Net
"philippe dot gentric at philips dot com"
http://www.platform4.philips.com